What's your favorite shooting drill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite shooting drill?

Honestly, most of my shooting these days is .22lr at reactive targets in the back yard. It's cheap and fun and easy. But when I decide to do some serious shooting I have a few standbys I like to go with.

One of my favorites is shoot, move/reload, shoot. It's nothing fancy, but I think it works on some basic skills that are neglected with run of the mill plinking. I have a really small berm in my back yard, so I have to be careful, but this is how I do it.

I'll set two objects on the ground about 10 ft apart equidistant from my dirt pile. I start at item one and shoot at my target, then move laterally to item 2 as I reload, then shoot again once I reach item 2.

I always start slow and focus on the mechanics of the movement and reloading. I then work on increasing the speed and keeping my eyes on the target and using feel and peripheral vision more and more.

What do you do?

Re: What's your favorite shooting drill?

my favorite shooting drill, is to put a couple of small sand bags on a shooting table, sit my ass on the bench and shoot.

I did 20 years in the military, with the running shooting thing, which had a actually purpose, because it was my job

Comment

I was taught the Mozambique Drill at my 40 hour MFT class and I rather liked it. I guess that's my favorite.
      [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I confess rarely doing much speed shooting or reloading practice with rifles, a serious failing of mine. My time is mostly with handguns with a bit of effort with a shotgun. With these I do whatever my mood of the moment allows, handguns both slow and fast from face to face to about 25 yards. I do my handgun speed shooting from a holster, type depending on the pistol, usually from concealment. I'll go a couple weeks with no practice, feel guilty and really burn power for a month or so then get lazy and slack off again. I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be a fast or as accurate as I was 20 years ago but can still shoot circles around 99% of the folks here that never pop a cap. My time with shotguns is limited to using the lightest bird loads I can get, I no longer tolerate recoil well. A full tube of buckshot just about does me in, slugs even worse. Were I ever in a situation where shooting several buckshot and slugs were necessary, I'd have to go home and take a bath in muscle rub and eat half a bottle of Advil.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghoulardi View Post
          my favorite shooting drill, is to put a couple of small sand bags on a shooting table, sit my ass on the bench and shoot.

I did 20 years in the military, with the running shooting thing, which had a actually purpose, because it was my job
          I've done more of this than anything else. I'm totally confident that if I was ever attacked by a piece of cardboard stapled to two sticks, I would be victorious in that confrontation!

Comment

This is sad but I rarely shoot for pleasure/training anymore. I carry a gun almost all the time but I usually shoot to kill (animals, not people). I have to kill various varmints around the farm on a semi routine basis. I have a century M70(fixed stock) that I call 'The Grim Reaper'. It has killed so many animals I cannot count. In addition to killing varmints I also shoot animals for slaughter and put them down for health reasons. I prefer the 7.62 vs 22LR because I find it quicker and more humane (is it cheaper too?).

I can't tell you when I have shot a target...

Thx-Ace

Comment

Working...
            X