X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open carry patrolling: long gun vs handgun

I came accross this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GSBE0-z1i2o

It's a guy (wierdo) that walks around his nieghborhood wearing body armor and carrying a rifle. It looked like a sporterized Lee-Enfield in the video which he said his grandaddy used in WWII. B.S.

Now, this guy is just doing a presence patrol and picking up trash in his nieghborhood. I found it hilarious to see that one family (black single mother I'm sure) was complaining that her kids didn't want to play (steal and vandelize) outside anymore because of him.

But if you're going to do this, wouldn't a lower key approach be more productive?

Granted, the guy in the video looks like he is 19 and only wieghs about 120 pounds, so if there are a couple of teenage brothers harrassing residents I could see how he might want to increase his ability to intimidate.

I think he could have done better by wearing a ball cap and orange vest while carrying a holstered handgun.

Any thoughts?

Re: open carry patrolling: long gun vs handgun

I like the neighbor that's complaining. Very sharp!

That kid could be doing a lot worse I guess but I think you may be right about him just carrying a handgun instead of the large, noticeable rifle.

It's all fun and eyes until someone looses a game!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!

Comment

I would say that carrying the rifle shouldnt be a big deal at all. Admitted that it is not commonplace to see a kid carrying a rifle everywhere (unless you live in a Darfur or another war torn African country). That being said, it's shameful to think that some people in this country are too afraid to step out their front door. People like that have to wince each time they notice their shadow.
      The body armor seems a bit much to me. Nevertheless I am glad to see he left his cape at home.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentSpectre View Post
        ... I am glad to see he left his cape at home.
        hilarious! nice touch.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
          I came accross this video:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GSBE0-z1i2o

It's a guy (wierdo) that walks around his nieghborhood wearing body armor and carrying a rifle. It looked like a sporterized Lee-Enfield in the video which he said his grandaddy used in WWII. B.S.

Now, this guy is just doing a presence patrol and picking up trash in his nieghborhood. I found it hilarious to see that one family (black single mother I'm sure) was complaining that her kids didn't want to play (steal and vandelize) outside anymore because of him.

But if you're going to do this, wouldn't a lower key approach be more productive?

Granted, the guy in the video looks like he is 19 and only wieghs about 120 pounds, so if there are a couple of teenage brothers harrassing residents I could see how he might want to increase his ability to intimidate.

I think he could have done better by wearing a ball cap and orange vest while carrying a holstered handgun.

Any thoughts?
          I did a neighborhood patrol exactly once in my life while carrying a rifle, and that was as a show of force due to someone thinking it was funny to step out of the bushes and fire several rounds in the general direction of my car as I drove by the night before.

Otherwise in the absence of some sort of pretty universally recognized threat, it is a disturbance of the peace situation.
          Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

I think that walking in the wrong neighborhood with a concealed handgun my well present the opportunity for me to need to use it (keep from being mugged) Also think open carry with a handgun might not be scary enough to keep some punk from trying a shot at me....sooo, perhaps having them outgunned with a long gun (read 12ga.) might not be such a bad idea. Especially since I don't own a class 3!
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun. Kid is 19. In most states it would be illegal to carry a handgun.

I think that he was making his presence known with the rifle, where he won't if he was carrying a handgun (if it were legal for a 19 Y/O), or just walking around the neighborhood picking up trash unarmed.

I bet if some ne'er do wells were crusing the neighborhood and see crazy little white boy toting a big ol' rifle, that they are going to do evil in some other location.

Comment

Working...
              X