Home invasion drill and the case for assault rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home invasion drill and the case for assault rifles

This surveillance video shows a gang rolling up on a home in Arizona in a gangbanger type home invasion robbery. Note one person partway thorugh the video appears to be armed with a shorty AR of some type.

Multiple attackers, broad daylight. This would definitely be cause for keeping an assault rifle or large caliber semiauto handgun handy for such occasions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw-0n...eature=related

The tactic employed by the resident was to return fire when the invaders hit the door, and then continue firing as they exited and attempted a shooting retreat. The resident did not, however, pursue them.

It appears that the invaders went for the open garage door instead of the "front" door.
    Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Re: Home invasion drill and the case for assault rifles

According to local news at the time this went down, and folks in the AO, the target was a suspected drug dealer's house.
    [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
    [/URL][/B]

Comment

why in the hell did they back up so far then go forward at the end of the video. Looked like a bunch of thug pieces of sh_t to me. To bad somebody didn't kill them all.

Comment

Yeah, apparently they were gangbanger/dopers trying to rip off an upper level dealer.

The thing is, they are just as likely as the police to get the house wrong when doing a home invasion robbery. Although you are perfectly justified in wiping them out, you cant just submit for the time being and then sue later which is the "legal advice" given by all of the various experts who give advice on what to do if you are raided by the police. Notice they will attack with less of that righteous determination that cops tend to show, but more serious firepower than your regular revolver is needed to drive them off.

I think the other sort of weapon that would work well in that sort of scenario is a hicap shotgun, preferably something semiauto which you can use to lay down a lot of fire.
        Last edited by RT; April 23, 2010, 11:59.
        Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

I had a 'home invasion' of sorts about a year ago...

I was at home alone with my new girfriend, we were asleep. About midnight my other girlfriend showed up. When she noticed the other car in the yard (that she recognized) she became quite upset and 'broke in'. She was quite violent and mouthy.

I was disoriented and confused when it happened. Looking back if it had been a home invasion I would have been toast. Of course she knew where I was and an invader probably would not. It was a real eye opener for me about home invasions.

About the other girlfriend, I had been trying to get rid of her for some time. It took another six months to be finally rid of her (mostly).

Thx-Ace

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post
            Yeah, apparently they were gangbanger/dopers trying to rip off an upper level dealer.

The thing is, they are just as likely as the police to get the house wrong when doing a home invasion robbery. Although you are perfectly justified in wiping them out, you cant just submit for the time being and then sue later which is the "legal advice" given by all of the various experts. Notice they will attack with less of that righteous determination that cops tend to show, but more serious firepower than your regular revolver is needed to drive them off.

I think the other sort of weapon that would work well in that sort of scenario is a hicap shotgun, preferably something semiauto which you can use to lay down a lot of fire.
            I am really not a shotgun guy, but a home invasion with multiple attackers does make a real good case for a high capacity shotgun.

I would be leaning towards a Saiga as a close quarters shotgun, my ten round Remington shotgun is long and heavy, but that Saiga is short and handy.
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]The Washington Government can take their “Global Empire” and shove it up their “Pelosi”![/FONT]

Comment

I gotta agree about the shotgun aspect of this. Especially a unit derived for defenseive purposes, long mag tube, loaded with #2 + or 00 intermixed.

The other aspect of having an AR or AK, or other semi-auto variant isn't a bad idea.

A few years back, a guy up the road from here, had a similar new GF deal go down one night. Only the "visitor" was her recently ex BF.
              He came in with a 357, IIRC, and knew where the BR was, and began shooting the place up.
              The fella who lived there had an AK(semi), which happened to be loaded, and he was able to retrieve and return fire ASAP.
              The sheriff was called and a few cars arrived 15 minutes after, they found the perp lying out by his pickemup truck, dead from multiple piercings in and through his body.
              No charges filed, ruled self defense.

A person never knows. He wasn't dealing drugs, just doing his thing in his own home, and some guy went bonkers.....

Perhaps a shotgun would have been more effective at close range like that.
              [CENTER][SIZE=1]“Corruptissima republica plurimae leges,”[/SIZE][/CENTER]
              [CENTER][SIZE=1]“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Publius Cornelius Tacitus[/SIZE][/CENTER]
              [CENTER][SIZE=1][/SIZE] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER][SIZE=1]Sic Semper Tyrannis[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

I don't see how a shotgun is more adequate than an assault rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bastogne_Bulldog View Post
                  I don't see how a shotgun is more adequate than an assault rifle.
                  That all depends on the layout of your home, how many people are normally in residence, and whether you are in an urban, suburban, or rural setting.

Me? I'm rural, and my wife and dog are the only things I would want to miss in that type of situation, so I have an AK, an FAL, and a Garand fairly close to hand. But if I had five kids, and neighbors fifty feet on either side of me, I'd be going for the shotgun and a handgun first.

Running the bad guys off isn't much consolation if you whack a family member or a neighbor or two in the process, now is it?

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
                    Running the bad guys off isn't much consolation if you whack a family member or a neighbor or two in the process, now is it?
                    Depends on the neighbors
                    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
                    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
                    MOLON LABE!
                    AC0XV

Comment

Not to be onery; but, I didn't see anything in the video that would dissuade me from engaging those 3 guys with my usual Glock 45. The one with the AR goes first; and I'm pretty sure the other two wouldn't want to play anymore when my muzzle begins to point at them too.

Really, at close quarters and inside a house, what's so difficult about engaging 3 felons with your (well-practiced) 45ACP pistol? I'm sure I've been in faster, more challenging IDPA matches. If they want to play, let's play! Hunker on down behind your front sight, and do what you got 'a do.

(Otherwise a lot of us have been wasting thousands and thousands of rounds; and, apparently, aren't, 'there' yet.)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkblue][I][B](I'm Just An Angel In Disguise!)[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/I] :013:

Comment

I keep a pistol close if I happen to be surprised, a shotgun for heavy work inside my home and a FAL for use if they manage to really PO me. Actually the FAL is intended to turn any cover they may happen to get behind into swiss cheese, them with it. Its loaded with a mix of 150 soft points and AP
                        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
                        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Originally posted by guncrazy View Post
                          why in the hell did they back up so far then go forward at the end of the video. Looked like a bunch of thug pieces of sh_t to me. To bad somebody didn't kill them all.
                          I would hazard a guess of A) they would have driven deeper into a culdesac thus taking several precious seconds longer leaving the area or B) they were just plain idiots.
                          [B]Grumpy Old Fart [/B][IMG]http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/core/images/smilies/graemlins/050.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                          X