What use is a bayonet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What use is a bayonet?

I've got my own ideas, but I'll let ya'lll go first. Personally I think they are more useful psychologically than practically, but there are certain applications.

Re: What use is a bayonet?

I heard about a group of British (or Canadian?) soldiers charging some Iraqis after they ran out of ammo during a prolonged firefight. Frankly, I think I would rather fight with the bayonet in hand than on my weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Efraim View Post
      I think I would rather fight with the bayonet in hand than on my weapon.
      Can you describe why? And have you had knife training and bayonet training to base this preference on?

Comment

[QUOTE] Can you describe why? And have you had knife training and bayonet training to base this preference on? [/QOUTE]

Yes i do have knife fighting training and some bayonet training. But I do have spear training too. Assault Rifles today are not the same as the fighting rifles of 50 years ago. Those were more like long slender objects with heavy barrels. Putting a spike or a blade on the end of them made sense. You could get a real good grip on them and they worked fairly well as a polearm weapon. Me personally (and I am not the great H2H weapons guru) would not prefer to do that with an AK or an AR (Maybe a FAL). There are too many odd protrusions and they are too short to make for an effective polearm.

The other flip side is that we regularly train to take away other peoples weapons and its more easy to take away a rifle with a long magazine than to disarm someone with a shotgun.

Therefore, given that I had no more ammo I would prefer to use a knife than a bayoneted weapon. If I had ammo and a bayonet I might use them in tandem for sticking something in CQB, but as I don't normally use a bayonet that's just my point.

So there's my long answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Efraim View Post
          Frankly, I think I would rather fight with the bayonet in hand than on my weapon.
          especially on a bullpup rifle

Comment

My drill instructor in basic training, 1968 mind you while we still had M-14s, told us it was good for playing mumblety peg, cutting open C-ration cans and in a dire emergency, as a tent peg. We still had to train nonetheless. One of our drills was to approach half buried tires and stick them with the bayonet. Apparently that was the year radials had made their debut. Anyway the concept was to stick them as though they were grounded soldiers. The problem was that no one was penetrating the tires, radials? and all. So when I failed also, I proceeded to buttstroke the damn tire. It got a laugh from the boys. I even saw the trace of a smile from SSGT. Johnson but I got an extra KP for my efforts nonetheless.

Comment

I think that they're useful when guarding prisoners and as an intimidation factor for crowd control. It also would be somewhat comforting to know that if you are fixing to run out of ammo and be over run that you'll die fighting with a weapon in your hand.

Comment

The bayonet has a place in my arsenal, not on every long gun but most of them.

Aside from the jobs mentioned a bayonet makes a good probe. Clearing a closet type area (too small to walk in/crowded/blind spots) or pile of debris or brush etc. (with a round chambered and safety off), you don't have to be out of ammo to use it. They are great for keeping a person proned out. More great for getting a person or persons to move out of your way.
                They make them removable now so it's not that big of a deal carrying the extra tool around.

To add a thought, having a bayo mounted in a crowd scene can have a psychological effect, especially in a formation of troops. I was practicing some CQB/home clearing drills with airsoft, force, and no light. Getting my weapon grabbed was a big problem I was training around, I have a phantom and it is good for poking and it can tear my leg up, for doing drills I wrapped some razor wire around my FH, that cured the guys of grabbing my muzzle. I think in a situation where shooting every m-f in the room is not an option mounting bayos can do alot to prevent an upjump or weapon grab.

Bayo training was hard and serious when I was at ITB ('82), and more serious at my station, the 7th ID "Bayonet Soldiers",,, so I am alittle biased and brainwashed.
                c361

Stan
                Last edited by bulletcatchR; May 10, 2008, 05:37. Reason: add

Comment

To add a thought, having a bayo mounted in a crowd scene can have a psychological effect, especially in a formation of troops. I was practicing some CQB/home clearing drills with airsoft, force, and no light. Getting my weapon grabbed was a big problem I was training around, I have a phantom and it is good for poking and it can tear my leg up, for doing drills I wrapped some razor wire around my FH, that cured the guys of grabbing my muzzle. I think in a situation where shooting every m-f in the room is not an option mounting bayos can do alot to prevent an upjump or weapon grab.
                  I like it!

Comment

Mine is a "Multi-tool" but when fixed it is great for moving back brush without obstructing the barrel. Good way to get a clean shot without giving away your location. I guess it could be used to stick things just to make sure it is dead and not faking waiting to get up and get some. I think the best feature on the SKS's with the pike is they do double as a monopod but as with anything stuck onto a rifle I did notice the accuracy suffered so I don't care much for the spike style. I like the wide blade and you can skin just about anything within reason, not that I would go for elephant with a mouse gun mind you. If you can use a knife and now the features a bayonet is a must. You can even dig with one but last time I tried I got blisters so I try to stick with an E-tool for that function.

Comment

You don't own a piece of ground unles there is an 18-year old with a fixed bayonet standing on it.

Comment

I use an LMFII - as I am a medic and can't use a bayonet.

Comment

I guess a Bayonet is just one of those thing's that you have and wonder why.....

Sure beats that moment when you say to yourself.....if I only had a bayonet RFN!!
                          And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Originally posted by Led View Post
                            I guess a Bayonet is just one of those thing's that you have and wonder why.....

Sure beats that moment when you say to yourself.....if I only had a bayonet RFN!!
                            Yep. Bayonets are another one of those things that I go ZZ Top on. "...it's better to have it than to need it and not."

And I figure it's a +2 to intimidation, and a +3 to confidence when charging someone who really needs to be stuck in the wishbone with one. Which is why I get them. I may never want or need one, but it's hardly in the way most times, and the AK or the Garand looks a lot scarier with one attached. Cheap at twice the price, if it works even once.

And if I never use them, they are collectible additions to the rifles, which increases the price if you sell them.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

A bayonet would come in most handy in a post-hammer dropped enviroment dealing with wild dogs if you needed to save ammo or didnt wanna give away your exact POS..

Comment

Working...
                              X