Dumb Question Regarding Boonie Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question Regarding Boonie Hat

I happen to have this situation with cancerous cells on the tops of my ears, and my dermatologist has instructed me to always wear a hat with a brim when outside or while driving. I've since built up a selection of hats - western hats, breezers, etc. I formerly used to shoot handguns, but recently have started shooting rifles, and I find that most full-brimmed hats, especially those with stiff brims, interfere with the sights.

Recently I bought a boonie hat to wear when shooting. However, they seem to come in limited sizes, and of course, I'm right in the middle - 7-1/2 is too small and 7-3/4 is too big.

I've tried out the 7-3/4, but in any sort of wind I have to keep the "stampede string" cinched up tight under my chin to keep it on.

Is there some secret process that I haven't been clued in on to make one of these things fit? Soak it in hot water and wear it all day facing towards Camp Perry, or something? And don't suggest letting my hair grow.....let's just say I'm getting too tall for my hair, and leave it at that!
    Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Re: Dumb Question Regarding Boonie Hat

there is a 7 5/8 size. you can try rangerjoes.com. they have a decent selection.

Comment

"....let's just say I'm getting too tall for my hair,"

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe&MyAR View Post
        "....let's just say I'm getting too tall for my hair,"

it doesnt grow at that altitude?

Comment

Does the hat have sewn webbing around where the crown meets the brim? If so, you could simply take some 550 cordor even some bungee cord and tie a loop between two of the webbing loops and tighten to your cranial demensions.

I assume no responsibility for over tightning discomfort/headaches.

<///><

bart.

Comment

Nachezzz shooting supplies has H20 proof adjustables that will fit up to a size 7-3/4. I think these are $12.99. Come in black, OD green, woodland, digital.
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

a trick we used to do was to take the size smaller and get it wet, i mean soaked, and wear it until it dries. the fibers should stretch some but this only works if the hat is slightly smaller than you head. this is also the method we used for molding our barets.

Comment

Soak it down and let it dry in the sun and try it again

Comment

wear the string around the back of your head instead of under your chin. More comfortable than under your chin. I always like my boonies to fit a little big, anyway.l

Comment

I have a British DPM boonie (or bush hat) that is sized in metric..Seems better fitting then bush hats cut in standards..

Comment

I had the same problem, this will sound a lil nutz. But wet it totally, put it on and use a blowdryer to dry it till dry and it will shrink down to fit...
                      I've expanded my skills.
                      I can now forget what I'm doing while I'm actually doing it.

Comment

boonie hats are near worthless.....we shoot in really sunny places and OUR Derm shoots with us.....we cover up with sunblock shirts and wear 70 spf on exposed skin....here is a hat the most all laugh at at the beginning of matches.....BUT the more astute always ask where to get one......this is a pistol stage at a sniper match......
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2MM7yDyeHc

Comment

Everyone I've spoken to in the military pretty much agrees with my assessment of the boonie hat...it's one of the greatest pieces of military gear ever issued.

Comment

Boonie hats are also available with wide brims. I doubt they are millspec but they are well made. I buy them from the local Army surplus store in tan. Thx-Ace

Comment

Buy the size that's slightly larger.
                              Buy an appropriately measured length of velcro(both sides).
                              Have the 'softer' side of the length of velcro sewn into the hat band.
                              That should be all that's needed.
                              But in the case that it is NOT, cut small 2-3" pieces of the 'hook' side of the velcro and place them in the front, back, and sides of the inner hat band.
                              This serves several purposes.

1) Makes the hat fit right.
                              2) Creates spaces in the band that contact your head which also provides ventilation.
                              3) You can place small items such as handcuff keys, folded bills, det cord, ID tags, lengths of 550 cord, wire/wire-saw etc,, between the 2 sides of the velcro for safe or discreet storage.

It also gives you the option to remove the 2nd layer of velcro in the unlikely event that the hat shrinks or your head grows/swells.

Comment

Working...
                              X