I want a ACOG scope. Someone please talk me out of it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a ACOG scope. Someone please talk me out of it

I just finished the National Guard national marksmenship competition and the guys with ACOG scopes had a huge advantage over those of us with CCO's (red dots) or open sights. Is it a worthwhile investment, and where can I get one for the best price?

Sorry but I aint going to try to talk you out of it. sales@rainierarms.com Email that guy for a speical price. Thats where most of the guys at ARFCOM get theirs.

Comment

I've got three, and every one is worth every penny I paid.

I had an M4 with CCO issued to me, and after our first engagement overseas had a buddy ship me my own ACOG from home. With practice, I honestly don't believe the ACOG disadvantages me for CQB either- but it takes a LOT of practice to get there.

The standard 4x32 is probably the most versatile. I also use the 1.5x16, but I think unless you're putting it on a dedicated short-range carbine the low magnification makes the high price hard to justify in terms of versatility.

I'm in the minority on this, but I absolutely love the 5.5x50 model. Yes, its huge. But on a flat top, it doesn't get in the way at all. And the magnification and clarity are amazing. I had guys next to me with 8x or 10x optics, and I could see things they could not. And at night, the light-gathering is awesome. After a short while, my buddies were calling it "The Hubble".

I haven't a single thing bad to say about the ACOGs, except they are expensive. But I've not regretted mine, ever.

Comment

bushnell has a battery operated knockoff if thats what your into.

ive seen this for as low as $190

as for actual ACOGs i dont think ive seen them much under $900

http://bushnell.com/general/riflesco...y_73-0132P.cfm

Comment

I found one listed for $841, but I am not exactly sure which model is the duplicate for the USGI ACOG, and I have to get one that looks identical on outward appearance or I won't be able to use it in next years competition.

That would be the 4x32 right?

Comment

Yep, the 4x32 is the one. Some units get slightly different variations though.

TA01 is the standard we had, but I saw some guys in other units with the TA01NSN. I suppose you could get any reticle you preferred and get away with it, too.

Comment

ISC, would you like for me to see if there is any substantial FFL dealer discount offered on a particular model? I'd have to find a wholesaler that stocked them if any exist.
              "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
              The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Yeah, I am really thinking a knock off would be the way to go if it looks GI or canbe made to look GI.

The cheaper the better, several of us on the team are thinking about getting them out of poccket if we can't get it added to our TOE.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC:
                  Yeah, I am really thinking a knock off would be the way to go if it looks GI or canbe made to look GI.

The cheaper the better, several of us on the team are thinking about getting them out of poccket if we can't get it added to our TOE.
                  im not sure if thats sarcasm or not.

Comment

no sarcasm, we're hoping that we can get the unit to buy them, but since we're a schoolhouse/training command it's pretty unlikely.

Comment

Are you intending to buy the fake ones strictly for competitions or for actual combat use, too? (I can't tell if you are NG or just training with them.)

Comment

http://www.1337tactical.com/shop/newsview.php?infoId=5

ISC- here is a link to a clone that has a good rep, i have no pers. exp with it, but i read your post and thought it may help
                        Don\'t be late, Don\'t be light and Don\'t be last. Most of all, don\'t quit.....

excuse typos,
                        Semper Fi,
                        Shawn

Comment

I'm NG.

I'm intending it for competition only, but it looks like I'll be deploying in 2009, and I may or may not bring it over there.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC:
                            I'm NG.

I'm intending it for competition only, but it looks like I'll be deploying in 2009, and I may or may not bring it over there.
                            I don't see a problem with using it for gaming and such, but I can't think of any good reason to use a lower quality scope when your life is on the line. Maybe it's just me, but my life is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

Comment

If the question is a generic copy or not having one at all.... Honestly, I expect that if/when I go I'll probably have the aimpoint on more than anything else. The ACOG sounds like it slows down target acquisition too much for short range stuff I'd expect too face IF I go.

I'd be going as a squad leader so I think I'd have a little more lattitude about what I use than Joe Snuffy.

Comment

Working...
                              X