Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the opinion here about the Army's UCP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the opinion here about the Army's UCP?

Do many guys here use the Armys Universal Cammo Pattern for gear and clothing?

If you are referring to the ACU's, than I doubt anyone who isn't deploying is buying it.

In my opinion, it's not very functional expcept in limited terrains. Never mind that the uniforms fit like ****. I base that opinion on having worn ACU's, BDU's and MARPAT. Far and away, the MARPAT is the best in both fit and function.

YMMV

Comment

Real MARPAT is hard to get.

What about Propper Battle Rip Woodland digital uniforms? They are supposed to be like the MARPAT; however, I can't find a real pic, just a "colorized" graphic showing Woodland, Desert and Urban versions.

Comment

Don't forget about their lack of durability- I've been getting less than 6months out of a pair before the seams all give out.

Needless to say I miss my BDUs and DCUs

Comment

ACUs suck, they'll be pulled or modified in less than a decade. They seem to be a good pattern for urban and dessert camo, but the velcro wears out fast, patches fall off, the material doesn't wear well, and the pattern stands out in a woodland environment.

They make me chafe on long movements and the little drawstring doesn't work well. The zipper shirt is stupid and makes the collar stick up at a wierd angle. The buttoned pants are good, but there should be buttons on the cargo pockets too because they open spontaneously if you keep anything in them and use them repeatedly.

The drawstring for the cargo pockets is worthless, I've never seen anyone use it. The lack of a provision for attaching badges except by pins was short sighted, and they just look rumpled and baggy no matter what you do to them.

Other than the black beret, they are the worst uniform decision I've seen in my career.

Comment

I was mainly interested in your take on the UCP cammo pattern.

I just bought some gear from Specialty Defence Systems in Woodland, Coyote, and UCP. I plan on taking them out and doing some "in the field" observations and pics in various terrains.

Some of the ACU picks I've seen on the web look pretty bad in woodland environments.

Comment

They stand out like a flourescent hunting vest in the thick woods around here. Well not quite, but if US soldiers aver have to fight in the jungle again ACUs will get people killed.

Comment

OH but the pattern works so well in an urban environment. I ran into a young hotty in the local Wal-Mart and after regaining composure said "Sorry I didn't see you". It is strange how the uniform blurs among the store shelves.

I have never owned anything clothing wise that had camouflage of any kind. Never put on face paint or played Rambo either when it comes to my choice of clothes. Gear bags and guns are another issue.

Comment

Whaa--? Playing Rambo is fun!

I have also hear that UCP excels in the night, too.

So, far from being "Universal", perhaps the ACU is a nich uniform...MARPAT woodland for vegetated areas, MARPAT desert for arid areas, and UCP for urban, night, and arctic conditions?

Comment

Multicam

Comment

I never heard of a "UCP" uniform. The army's current issue uniform is called the "ACU".

Army Combat Uniform.

I'm talking about my issue uniform, what are you talking about Storm surge?

Comment

UCP CAMO (Universal CAMO Pattern) is actually ACU.

I personally like the pattern myself and have several items in that particular pattern.

I do not own, nor do i really care to own, any
                        BDU's in the particular camo.

I had a really nice collection of gear in Flecktarn, sold it all with the thought of going to Multi-cam.

After careful consideration, i am now re-buying Flecktarn again.

The reason i re-chose Flecktarn over multi-cam, i can get just about anything i could possibly want in the flecktarn pattern and for cheap.

Not so with the multi-cam and the price just aint right imho. And the pickings are slim.
                        [B][U][URL="http://stores.ebay.com/SPECIALIZED-EQUIPMENT"][/URL]
                        [/U][/B]

Comment

What gear have you sought in multicam and not been able to get? I certainly agree it isn't cheap (most items run a 10% premium over other contemporary patterns) but I use it at my work for a group of about 20 folks and we've gotten just about everything we could think of in it.

And when some of the guys wear their ACUs instead, the difference is night and day.

Comment

ACU = Army Combat Uniform, is the current style of uniform, currently using the UCP (universal camo pattern).

ACU refers to the uniform itself, though it's also use interchangeably to refer to the camo pattern for gear made in UCP.
                            [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
                            [/URL][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by TP:
                              What gear have you sought in multicam and not been able to get? I certainly agree it isn't cheap (most items run a 10% premium over other contemporary patterns) but I use it at my work for a group of about 20 folks and we've gotten just about everything we could think of in it.

And when some of the guys wear their ACUs instead, the difference is night and day.
                              I have a bud, Gordon Schumacker, that makes and distributes gear. At the time i decided to go with
                              Multicam, Gordon was making all of his gear in that pattern.

Well, about the time i decided to put up a couple grand and make a purchase, i find that Gordon no longer makes gear in the Multicam pattern.

He said Crye was just to hard to deal with and that basically it was not worth his time dealing with it.

Now, this was about a year ago, when it seemed like everyone was having a hard time getting Multicam material.

I must admit, i have not been actively seeking out Multicam, simply because i am no longer interested in it, but i am back to slinging gear and non of the distributors i am dealing with at the moment are offering anything in that pattern. If they are, I am not aware of it.
                              [B][U][URL="http://stores.ebay.com/SPECIALIZED-EQUIPMENT"][/URL]
                              [/U][/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X