AA Batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA Batteries

I loved the light's reviewed by one of our members. At this time I use lights that take AA batteries. This is what I have discovered. The low priced RayOvac DO NOT LAST LONG, and under usage will burst. This is not good for the internals of your light. Same thing happens with the standard Alkaline Energizer brand. I have never had a problem with any Duracell and they do last a long time but again cost almost twice as much as the RayOvac's.

I assume it matters what "Quality" of cell you get and with higher cost the battery has better attributes? Example RayOvac has a gold brand titled "Maximum" that costs the same as the Energizers, but I have never paid for them because I had bad luck with their lower cost batteries.

Consumer reports had stated that there are only a few factories that make batteries and companies place their logo on the same battery and charge more for the name but I have no way to prove what they said and noticed they left out any charts or data to show what "Type" of battery is best.

I know that Energizer also has a MAX brand, heck they have an "E" series for digital devices with higher output the 'Titanium' and 'Lithium' brands but as I understand neither of these can be recharged.

So this brings up the question WHAT BRAND DO YOU LIKE AND WHY? Also does anyone like the batteries that can be recharged, if so what brand have you selected.

Thanks.

IMHO the bulbs are more important than the batteries for flashlights. If you're worried about life alot depends on the device . Some battaries aredesigned for slow discharge and others for rapidly recharging a capacitor. Its complicated and really requires research with each component's requirements in mind.

Comment

It's been my experience that the regular (read "cheap") AA's last about 80% as long as the Alkaline ones do, in normal use in low draw situations. That's with flashlights that don't get used for an hour at a stretch, kids toys with intermittent use, and so on.

For the difference in price, I can buy a 10-pack of the cheap ones for less than I can 8 of the alkaline, so it's a wash for that sort of thing.

OTOH, if you have something that you are going to run for an extended period nonstop, or something like a camera flash that draws a lot of power all at once, the better grades are worthwhile. Top shelf batteries last about three times as long as cheap ones do in my flash attachment for my camera, so they're worth buying for that.

The flip side of that is that rechargeables are cheaper than either option, and last at least as long in use as the cheaper ones do per use.

So, it depends on what you are using it in, and how long you plan on running it at any given time. I've never had a problem with any of them bursting, as long as I didn't leave them sit for long periods (read a year or more) without checking them, and replacing if they looked corroded.
      Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

By all means buy rechargeable AA NIMH batteries.
        You are going to save a lot of money and help with the environment.

The NIMH chemistry doesn't have any problem with memory, can be recharged a 1,000 times and now they come with high capacity up to 2700 mah and even 3,000 mah.

They are great for digital cameras that drink battery juice like no tomorrow.
        Great in flashlights and in GPS, two way radios etc.

I use in my rechargeable BOREALIS flashlight, the high current ones, the best are POWEREX 2700 mah,

These batteries are high current and high capacity, and have less than 1/2 of 1 % of self discharge per day, which is much better than any other NIMH in the market (Except for the Sanyo Eneloop, more about this one later).

Other good brands are Sanyo 2500 and 2700 mah, the Energizers (which are made by Sanyo) and the GP (Gold Peak) 2600 mah.

If you don't like to recharge the batteries every month or so (to recuperate the juice lost to self discharge) I can recommend the Sanyo Eneloop batteries, they are only 2,000 mah but the new chemistry inside will keep the battery fully charged for many months.

Stop wasting money in alkaline and get some high grade rechargeable NIMHS and you will not regret it ever.

Just a word of caution, do not give NIMHS a DEEP discharge (where the light is very yellow), just stop and recharge when you see that your light had dimmed, they could possible go into reverse polarity with a deep discharge.

Respectfully
        Black Bear
        www.blackbearflashlights.com

Comment

Thanks BlackBear, BTW it was your review that got me to rethink my choice in lights. It appears you have a great setup. The only thing I would be worried about in a survival situation would be the source to recharge the batteries. Is it safe to assume that some kind of solar panel could be used for this? PM me if you like thanks.

Comment

I've been buying Polaroid brand AA's at our local Atwoods store. Not as good as Duracells or perhaps even Energizers, they seem at least as good as Ray-O-Vac. Get them in a 48 pack for 8 bucks. I will say that when depending on a flashlight for serious business, I stick with Duracell and don't worry about the cost.
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Working...
            X