Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best MREs and source for same?

DB

Beef stew, Pot Roast, Spaghetti, Chili Mac, and Chicken Cavatelli and Chicken Tetrazzini are all really good.

Pork Rib, Tuna, Hamburger Patty, Chicken Breast, Chicken Salsa are all decent.

Veggie Burger and Veggie omelette, avoid like the plague.

You can buy them at surplus stores or at the commissary on base.

Comment

you can buy civilian model mres from catalogs. you might want to avoid any suppliers that may have already expended much of their shelf. there should be lot numbers on the crates and the customer support should have access to this information. if they dont its only a phone call away for them. remember, most of these cases will be about $60 so its a decent investment and if they are not willing to make the sale, then it may not be worth the gamble.

Comment

I hate to say it but for the price MRE's are going for why not go with a lighter and more stable food?

Two words for you = FREEZE DRIED!

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan M:
          I hate to say it but for the price MRE's are going for why not go with a lighter and more stable food?

Two words for you = FREEZE DRIED!
          I AM a BIG fan of freeze dried. I have never bit into an MRE that could match what the folks at Mountain House produce.
          ALSO
          IF you buy enough at a time you can get a distributor price on it and it saves FOREVER...
          I got into it through a friend who has about 2 years of it stored up. Tried it and have presently about 4-5 months of freeze dry backup.

We buy in together and get about $500 at a time and it saves about 40% from store prices but IIRC the discounts start at $300.00
          We both use it for regular eats when we want to fix something quick instead of waiting for the end of the world. The Beef stew is great and so are the chicken meals. Then you can always extend it with noodles or rice or even bread.
          PLUS it is really light weight and stores very easily and well.
          All you need is hot water and in 10 minutes you have a great meal.
          AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
          God carries a 1911.
          Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Why not just go to the commisary? They're cheaper there (comparitively speaking of course) than outside vendors.

Comment

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/StoreFront

Comment

One big advantage of MRE's is in the name, Ready to eat. Freeze drieds take quantities of water and time to prepare, both of which might be in short supply during certain scenarios. Both have their place, if I had to choose only one to stock, MRE's would win out.
                "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
                The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

I been eating some commercial MRE's in the clear plastic package. They are not as nice as the regular army ones. The fruit bars are sometimes moldy, the trail mix gets old since it is in almost every one. The main entrees are not bad and I miss the applesauce which they do not have. No candies to suck on. They just don't compare to the real thing.

Comment

sopacko or something like that... they suck

I agree with Dunkel's assessment, except I think the BBQ rib is really good instead of decent, especially if you heat it up.

Comment

I'd like to add that Jambalaya is the worst MRE ever made. Its always the last one to get picked and I've seen many hungry soldiers refuse to eat the entre and collect wheat snack bread or whatever other guys had left over instead of eating the jambalaya. It tastes like old tennis shoes and smells like rotton pu55y.

Comment

I've been rotating my older MREs & using them for back packing,fishing and soon hunting.

Recently purchased five cases of MREs for $50,only down side, their almost two years old.

Have yet purchased any freeze dried, seen some at wally world, might have to try it some day.

Had a link, where ones could purchased large cans of pork & other entries.

Be good for long term storage.

TG

Comment

I've heard MREs stay good for 14 years and are safe to eat longer then that although their nutritional content degrades and the food will turn into a tasteless mush.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC:
                            I've heard MREs stay good for 14 years and are safe to eat longer then that although their nutritional content degrades and the food will turn into a tasteless mush.
                            How long they stay good depends on the storage temperature. Keep em at 100+ degrees and they will only last a few months, if that.

Comment

http://www.sopakco.com/faq_mreshelflife.html

I swear, how hard is it to Google "MRE Shelf Life"?

Comment

Working...
                              X