Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wolverine vs. Red Wing, waterproofing, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverine vs. Red Wing, waterproofing, etc.

i'm homing in on a pair of waterproof, 6", safety toe non-insulated "hikers" and coming down to Red Wing vs. Wolverine.

Anyone have general comments about the quality differences between the two ? Does one brand have an incremental advantage ?

As far as "waterproof" goes, is there Gore-tex and then there's everything else ? I.e. if I want real waterproofness, I need to buy something that explicitly says it has a waterproof Gore-tex (Sympatex ?) bootie ? Do you believe in the waterproofing that these brands offer ?

Interestingly, I looked at the Magnum Precision with composite toe, but then found it in a store and thought that the plastic hardware (speedlace hooks) looked like they wouldn't last so long. Magnum is high-speed but kinda light (like my Stealths) seems to me.

I don't use this for work, but I have shoes that last 20+ years, so this is a one-time purchase and I want to make it good. I'm looking at this as a 3-season boot (winter too unless it's too cold for socks to cover the insulating job) for general outdoor stuff and walking/hiking. I want the safety toe because I can.

Thanks for your opinions & insights!
    When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.

Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.

Not sure about the specific model you are looking for I am sure you cannot go wrong with Red Wing, Ive tried many differant boots, Wolverines included and NOTHING felt and lasted like Red Wings.

I wear my Red Wings for work and hunting/fishing, I do not baby them. I have no experience with Red Wing worx, they are not US made so I will not try them.

Comment

IME, anything sold at S-mart won't last long and both of these brands are sold there. I got a pair of Wolverine "hiking/hunting" mid-calf boots and the sole tore out near the toe in just 1 hunting season woodland camo type. (nobody in the chain stores sizes your feet and I got the closest fit but it wasn't comfortable). Last pair of good boots I got while in Canada about 7 years ago they work but either my feet got bigger or the shoes are shrinking, could be both as they are nice leather with wool lining.

My advise is to go to a shoe store one that carries good solid brand shoes and pick the ones for the task.

Comment

Duncan, Sears has a deal with redwing to produce boots FOR them, they are Sears branded boots made by Redwing. I would not buy the Sears brand or Redwing worx. Real Redwings are sold only by Redwing dealers that are shoe stores.

I'd also reccomend Whites but they make Redwings seem cheap price wise.

Comment

Sears has some good quality stuff, You can't go wrong with their handtools.

Comment

I ended up with the RedWings. They look solid, we'll see how they do. $60 factory seconds on Ebay, vs. $140 list. model 6680.

Thanks for your replies!
            When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.

Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.

Comment

I buy Redwings on Ebay often, I hope you went to a Redwing store to figure out your size though, also most people buy boots that are too snug fitting, boots that fit right in the morning will be tight when your feet swell after working all day. Part of the whole deal with Redwings is going to a Redwing dealer and having him tell you what size you need.

Comment

Working...
              X