How should an Intercepter fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should an Intercepter fit?

Just got issued my go-to-school gear from my Guard unit, including an Intercepter vest. They gave me a large, though, which seems a bit roomy. Should this thing fit snugly, or is a little breathing room ok? I've got the four side straps cinched down as tight as they'll go, but it kind of makes the edges curl in a little bit. Hopefully, I'll never need to depend on the thing to save my life, but if I do, I'd like to know it fits properly.

Incidentally, the helmet they gave me was a medium...which covered roughly 1/4 of the top of my head. Pretty sure that ain't right, either...

Size large fits 41" to 45" in the chest area, sound like you need a medium.

TG

Comment

Well, I don't think I'd want to go any smaller in the chest. It's just a bit loose around the waist. There are no belt loops or anything and the side straps are as tight as they will go. But anything smaller in the chest and I wouldn't be able to move or breathe. I guess I have the right size after all.

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

Comment

I know this sounds silly, but tighten the side straps. You wouldn't believe the number of NG folks I've run into who have no clue hwo to adjust those...or even that they exist.

Comment

While I can't argue that there are some clueless Guard members, I was able to find the side straps and cinch them down. It's still just a bit big in the waist. That's ok...with my ACU's on, it's not that bad, and as I said, I don't think I could go down to a medium since it'd be too small in the chest.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Fish you a draw string, if you know someone who is handy with sewing, Im sure you can make mods to it.

TG

Comment

Originally posted by dunkel:
              While I can't argue that there are some clueless Guard members, I was able to find the side straps and cinch them down. It's still just a bit big in the waist. That's ok...with my ACU's on, it's not that bad, and as I said, I don't think I could go down to a medium since it'd be too small in the chest.

Thanks for the tips.
              In re-reading my reply, I see that one could infer I was being harsh. No ill-intent was meant, and I apologize if it seemed as if I was patronizing you.

Comment

Originally posted by TimW:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dunkel:

Thanks for the tips.
                In re-reading my reply, I see that one could infer I was being harsh. No ill-intent was meant, and I apologize if it seemed as if I was patronizing you. </font>[/QUOTE]No prob. I was being serious about some of the guys I've seen in the Guard. After helping one guy get his M16 back together, I was amused to find him distressed about forgetting to put a piece back in...the cleaning rod handle.

I tried to word my own reply so as not to indicate that I was greatly offended. So I think we're good

Anyway, a draw string sounds interesting...but I am concerned about folding or creasing the kevlar panels if drawn too tightly...would this be an issue?

Comment

Are you adjusting the vest with SAPI's inserted? If you didn't size the vest with plates in the pockets, then it will fit you alot differently, and a little room to grow would be good to accomodate the SAPIs.

Comment

Originally posted by CK:
                    Are you adjusting the vest with SAPI's inserted? If you didn't size the vest with plates in the pockets, then it will fit you alot differently, and a little room to grow would be good to accomodate the SAPIs.
                    Second that- sizing it for wear without your plates is wasted effort. And it will definitely fit and carry differently with them in.

Comment

It's just got the soft inserts. I am not 100% up to speed on this body armor, but I assume you are talking about hard plate inserts? I was not issued those, if that is what you are asking.

Comment

Yes, that's what they are referring to.

The vest is designed to utilize both the soft-armor panels AND the hard-armor plates. Some folks I know wear the plates in a plate-carrier instead of in the vest, since this allows them to have ballistic protection inside their FOB but not have to hump around 14-16 extra pounds of weight. Note, some of the unit NCOs, um, "discourage" this practice.

The local guard unit I frequently visit (as a guest) has a stack of plates for their IBAs. The only ones that continuously wear armor plates (SAPI) are the actual folks doing the EOD work. ANyone else wearing PPE (personal Protective Equipment) that isn't directly dealing with the explosives, generally only wears the soft-armor (no plates) since they are never near the actual explosives.

Comment

Unless things dramatically change, you will not venture outside the wire without both the soft armor and the plates. The soft armor itself (called the OTV or outer tactical vest) is only protective against fragmentation and low-velocity rounds, like handgun or some subgun rounds. There are basically NO rifle rounds that will not breeze through just the vest alone.

One danger of wearing just the plates in a plate carrier is the energy transfer to you even if the plates are not penetrated by a hit. The soft armor, beneath the plates, greatly dissipates this energy and spreads it over a greater area. But even more important, wearing just the plates alone also leaves the entire sides and top completely unprotected. If you are somewhere where any armor is worthwhile, I've never seen a competent leader let it slide for joes to ditch part of their gear simply out of laziness. If your FOB is in Kuwait or Bahrain or something like that, I suppose it might be different- my experience is with OIF and OEF directly.

If folks tell you they are dropping 16 pounds by not wearing the OTV, they are misinformed. Depending on the size, the basic OTV weighs between 8 and 10 pounds, and each plate runs around 4 to 5 pounds. The arm additions (DAPs) and such add to this, but overall it is a decent system that has saved lives.

Comment

TP

I know the "old" SAPI plates were very light...I was surprised at how light they were compared with my ceramic plates. However, isnt' the military transitioning to the ESAPI plate to counter the 7.62x54 penetration issue that the "old" SAPI plates encountered? The ESAPI plate I have weighs in at 8 pounds for an 11x13" plate.

The carrier weighs in at about 3-4 pounds. I don't have the inserts, but if my PPI armor is any guide, the panels will weigh about 7 pounds for a large, putting the vest alone (w/o collar, throat or mudflap) at 10-ish pounds.

That said, I think I would want all the protection I could get w/o compromising movement. Speed is a tactic/protection in itself, but since (I think) most injuries are from IEDs/VBIEDs while riding in vehicles, this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Comment

...but I am concerned about folding or creasing the kevlar panels if drawn too tightly...would this be an issue?
                              if you get deployed... or get blasted by an ak wielding border runner... your kevlar should be just thick enough to slow the bullet down so it gets stuck in the middle of you... overlapping or creasing kevlar should be the least of your concerns... good luck buddy!

PS--&gt; finish your damn training so we can go blast off in jasper again... shooting b/c you have to and shooting b/c you want to are completely different! stay safe... blast a rag or border runner for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X