Maxpedition gearslingers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxpedition gearslingers?

Anybody got one, specificly the Monsoon?
    I've been looking at one for a long time, not that I absolutely NEED new gear, but what can you say, I'm a gearaddict.
    I got plenty of packs (ALICE, STRIKE Cyclone and a few others) but I'd like something that's more civilian and single-shoulder slung, this would be for everyday carry and I don't like carrying a backpack, at the moment I'm carrying a canvas gasmask bag, but it's a bit too small (not weatherproof either) and it doesn't have attchment points, nor is it compartmentalized enough. Also I've been carrying a lot of stuff on my belt (flashlight etc.) but I'd like a pack that I could attach various pouches to.
    I'm mostly interested in how the pack rides empty and full, plus how big it is (hard to tell from the pics).
    I would usually carry everyday stuff in it, also some basic survival stuff (multitool, flashlight...), and occasionally some spare clothes and such when I'm away from home for the weekend.
    I have tried looking for a review of the pack online but have had no luck, and Maxpedition stuff is not sold in Finland so I can't go and take a look, so if you don't have one have you even handeled one in person?

Thanks,
    m92s
    "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

As a Maxpedition dealer, I've handled them a couple times (at SHOT Show). I decided not to carry them because of their design being so unusual. No experience with them with stuff in them...sorry.

Comment

Thanks for the reply anyway Tim, I thought that no-one propably has one of these for the reason you stated, it being of a bit unusual design, something that actually first draw me to it, as I really like single shoulder bags, I feel they are great cause you can access them without taking them off your back...anyway, maybe I'll order one anyway, gotta do some thinking on that before, though.

Thanks,
      m92s
      "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

I have a smaller one shoulder bag with an across the chest strap for stability. Great BOB for late Spring or early Fall.

I pair it with a fanny pack that holds my water, power bars, socks, skull cap and a Polar Tec.

Happy kidneys happy hiker.
        All the weight on one side looks to me like you'll get pummelled in the lower back area on any moderately irregular terrain.

Attaching differnt pouches and stuff to a pack unless your "mission" changes drastically on a regular basis seems like you need a bigger pack with a few labeled pouches inside.

One shoulder taking all the weight makes me think you'll be buying an expensive bug out bag not even close to a 3 day rig...

Pete

Comment

I use the Typhoon as a "get me home" bag and it works pretty well. I carry a water purifier, casualty blanket, toilet paper, 4 MRE entrees, a WETSU survival kit, Cold Steel Master Hunter knife, knife sharpener, 4 packets of military sunscreen/bug repellant, a collapsible USGI canteen, multitool and some paracord, and still have room left over.

The combination waistbelt and shoulder strap make it stable. Since it slings over the right shoulder, I have nothing getting in the way of shoulder a rifle (I am left handed), so that's a bonus.

It's a small pack and stows nicely in the back of my truck.

Comment

Balldboy, I wasn't planning on using this as a BOB, more like a BOB capable daypack for city enviroment.
            If I knew I was going to hit the woods or was carrying heavier loads I'd carry a pack/rucksack.
            The outside attacment points would be for stuff that I normally carry on my belt, like a flaslight and a cell phone, things that one (esp. cell) uses regurally, and thus need to be easily accessible, which inside pouches are not.

But you make good observations anyway, I'll be taking those into consideration too.

Thanks,
            m92s.

Comment

Working...
            X