Carry along gun cleaning kits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry along gun cleaning kits?

What do you have that will go with you on the trail or road? I spent a small fortune for an Otis deluxe kit, only to find its really too large to take with me when I'm hoofing it. Id like to find something basic that is easy to store and carry, useful for rifles, shotguns and pistols. At times I really miss the old trapdoor buttstock AR cleaning kits but the current collapsible stocks have just about made them vanish from the market.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Re: Carry along gun cleaning kits?

Take down cleaning rod.
    bore brushes.
    tip and jag.
    Small bottle of Mp Pro 7
    patches
    cheap paint brush ( cut the bristles short and the handle)
    Tooth brush ( cut the handle short)
    small can of Wd 40.

Fits in a very small box or belt pouch.

karl
    Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

.308 boresnake and a small bottle of CLP.
      Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I've had several stuck cases over the years. Its common enough that I carried a sectional cleaning rod with me everytime I went on a mission. I also brought a small rem oil bottle and toothbrush. I kept all this wrapped up in a piece of tshirt which I could cut a patch off of if I needed to.

One of the things that stuck with me when I read "Missfire" were how many reports there were of marines and soldiers who were taken out of the fight because their weapons had cases stuck in the chamber. It's why I think a chrome bore is an absolute necessity for a tactical rifle.

The Otis kits and bore snakes are fine for cleaning a gun, but both are worthless for clearing a serious jam.

It occurs to me that a small container the size and shape of an M16 30 rd mag would be ideal for carrying a cleaning kit and a couple useful spare oarts or tools in. It would be a great accessory to carry in a spare mag pouch.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
          It occurs to me that a small container the size and shape of an M16 30 rd mag would be ideal for carrying a cleaning kit and a couple useful spare oarts or tools in. It would be a great accessory to carry in a spare mag pouch.
          Like this:

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/07/01...-cleaning-kit/

http://www.recoilweb.com/ms-clean-ma...kit-28399.html

Also on Facebook.
          "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

That's a great idea. I wonder how much it will cost and when it will hit the market?

Comment

That's a great idea. I wonder how much it will cost and when it will hit the market?
              No idea, I did almost contribute when their Kickstarter fundraiser was still active.

On their Facebook page they wrote on December first:

"This was one of our test samples. Our first production run will begin in about 2 weeks. We will start fulfilling our Kickstarter pledges in early January, if everything goes as planned."

I should think they would aim to have production up and running come SHOT show.
              "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

I was thinking of just gutting an old M16 mag, cutting off the feed lips and putting a mag pull over it to keep everything in.

Comment

I was thinking of just gutting an old M16 mag, cutting off the feed lips and putting a mag pull over it to keep everything in.
                  I guess that would work too, although you might mix it with real mags and it would rattle around, and I'm sure getting to the contents would be less convenient, you'd have to pour it all out.

Comment

I agree. I look forward to getting a couple if they are cheap enough ($2-$3 seems right)

Comment

I agree. I look forward to getting a couple if they are cheap enough ($2-$3 seems right)
                      I'm guessing more like $20-30

Comment

It's a piece of injected molded plastic. No more complicated than a $.79 dollar store soap container.

Comment

It's a piece of injected molded plastic. No more complicated than a $.79 dollar store soap container.
                          Yeah, one should think.

Comment

The M-16 had to be cleaned last thing at night and first thing in the Morning.
                            A simple 22 cleaning kit was all that you needed, We had them sent from the world.
                            The main problem was that FNGs would leave the same round in the chamber 24/7 the round would corrode and stick in the chamber. Too much LSA would also attract dirt and thus jams.
                            I suspect that that goes for the new M-4s.
                            Surprised to read that Marine rifles are jamming.
                            If that is because they are worn army leftovers, that is one thing, but if it is because of lack of proper care, the gunny is going to have someone's azz as he should.
                            karl
                            Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Originally posted by kARL View Post
                              A simple 22 cleaning kit was all that you needed, We had them sent from the world.
                              The main problem was that FNGs would leave the same round in the chamber 24/7 the round would corrode and stick in the chamber. Too much LSA would also attract dirt and thus jams.
                              I suspect that that goes for the new M-4s.
                              Surprised to read that Marine rifles are jamming.
                              If that is because they are worn army leftovers, that is one thing, but if it is because of lack of proper care, the gunny is going to have someone's azz as he should.
                              karl
                              The M16s of your era didn't have chrome bores. They fixed that a long time ago. Misfire was addressing vietnam era M16s used by soldiers and marines that were firing 5.56 loaded with leftover ball powder instead of the clean IMR powders they were designed for.

Comment

Working...
                              X