Bug-out-bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug-out-bags?

OK. Who has one? (Or more likely around here, who doesn't?) What's in it? And what should you have that you don't?

I'm currently worried about small fire extinguishers, actually. Them bastiches are heavy, but they are worth their weight in gold if you need one. How small can you get, and still be effective?
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Re: Bug-out-bags?

A roll of TP...nuff said about that one. If you don't pack it you'll wish you had.
    waterproof matches
    small stick of magnesium
    A pair of dry socks
    small fishing kit
    pair of HGU-4/P glasses
    Three or four candy bars. (I rotate these and if I forget I throw them away.
    USMC (or Army, can't remember) survival manual
    Extra P99 mag
    40 rounds of 7.62
    camo face paint
    signal mirror
    compass
    two small water bottles
    8-pack of AA batteries, also rotated.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

FWIW, mine are a bit more ecletcic. OTOH, mine are in my vehicles, so I only have to carry it all on very rare occasions. I can, but would rather not. (Which is why I mentioned fire extinguishers.)

Small jar of Peanut Butter. (I keep one at work for lunches, with the crackers, and rotate them out, along with all the other edibles.) Box of crackers. Box of Granola bars. Two dozen or so restaurant bags of sugar. Fairly large bag of beef jerky.

A six pack of 20 oz bottles of water.

Handgun. Three mags, minimum. (In my habitual ride, it's six mags, but I go light sometimes.) And a spare box of ammo for whatever pistol I'm running with.

Flashlight (AA size), batteries. Light sticks. Couple of flannel shirts. 1 pair of BDU trousers. TP, water purification tablets, spare knife, multi-tool, Duct tape, chewing gum, hard candy, 100 yards of 400# break strength nylon cord, a 4oz tube of mag chips, and a 4 oz sealed bottle of isopropyl alchol.

Two cheap butane lighters.

TP and a couple dozen individual wet wipes.

I think that all my BOB's have a handline, hooks, sinkers, and suchlike in them, but I won't swear to having that in my regular ride. I'm only about 10 miles from home, worst case, in it. If I need to go fishing to eat, I'm in trouble already.

Compass. USGS local area topographics. Notebook, and a couple of pencils. Signal mirror, camping stove, small can (1 lb) of propane for said stove. 1 regular blanket. Two or three emergency foil blankets. Cheap plastic ponchos.

First aid kit. Big bandages, including a couple of USGI field dressings, each. Smaller bandages. Rubber tubing for tourniquets. Antibiotic ointment. Alcohol pads, hand sanitizer, ibuprofen, naproxin, aspirin, Calamine, Benadryl, couple of single edge razor blades, and a snake bite kit.

Camo paint, black poncho, and some skunk scent, just in case I need to lose some dogs.

And that's what I carry in my vehicles. If I get home, I toss another couple of hundred pounds in there, but it's mostly food, weapons and ammo at that point, and we've already covered what I need to get home in the first place.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I'm only 12 blocks from home if at work and a lot of what you mentioned is in my vest. The smaller stuff anyway.

I just can't eat peanut butter. It's OK taste-wise, but it sticks my mouth all up, makes me thirsty, and on top of that, gives me heartburn.
        [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

Comment

I'm really badly organized on this one, I have several military packs that I could use to haul stuff, I got a lot of mismatch survival/camping gear, but if I had to bug out it would probably take me an hour to pack a bag and then I'd be guaranteed to forget some necessities like TP or something, but I think I would still manage to take with me enough stuff to last a week or so depending on the situation.

I should at least get some water purification items, more/portable food, waterproof clothing, a better shelter, extra fuel for stoves, maybe a better gas burner or a multifuel unit. I have lighters and other fire making stuff at home but I might not find all of it in a hurry with lights out, same goes for a lot of small stuff like that, batteries, fishing gear, wash items etc, I guess I'll have to throw together a package of the small items that I can just throw in whatever pack I might choose, it's just that since I never use it it's hard to tell what to pack.

I have taken the habit of carrying a few packages like that EDC in whatever pack I have on me just to get used to the idea of not having a BOB packed ready but rather to have a few key categories of items that I would pack in a whatever bag I had or could find in a survival situation, that way if I suddenly found myself in a bad situation without that prepacked BOB I could just walk into a grocery store and have a mental list of the items that would be most essential to carry/buy before people started to hoard stuff. I figure that in a sudden catastrophe there would be a brief window when stores would still operate normally at least with cash, but once the unprepared masses realize there might be shortages the aisles will get empty real fast, so one needs to have a good plan as what to get if you can't get to your home where your kit is.
          "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

Camo face paint - something about the "old days" I don't miss. You know they NEVER use that stuff in modern combat...

I own something like seven bugout bags, mostly based on unsold merchandise from savvysurvivor.com and as I get stuff to go in them, I will probably set up a few more bags.

One plan is to keep some in Fedex boxes and then left with people around the country, so they can be sent overnight to any location on short notice.

In general they include:

Big combat folder of some type.

Fixed blade knife of some type, usually attached to the outside of the pack.

scissors (industrial strength)

some zip ties

a padlock and key

leatherman wave or similar type of tool

Bottles of gatoraide (which will become the canteens in a bugout situation)

one bottle of water (disposable type)

energy drink (varies)

protein bars of some sort

money (varies, will always include a few bucks in quarters).

two way radio (varies)

prepaid cell phone (varies, and some packs don't have one yet).
            some have a skype capable device instead.

duplicate credit cards (and eventually ID) in the primary bag

razors, toothbrush, toothpaste

improvised garrote/saw (not all bags, but Harbor Freight has a great one they call the Portland Wire saw, which is vastly superior to the SAS "saw" which is somewhat useful as a garrote and pathetic as a saw).

Lighter AND matches (matches usually kept from fancy restaurants and nightclubs.

paracord

candles

underwear (usually brand new, never worn, left in the package)

socks (same)

T-Shirt

Long sleeve underarmor type shirt in a dark color, mostly the wally world knockoffs

Cargo pants

hat - usually but not always a boonie hat, some get a cheap watch cap (wally world, $2).

heavy duty nylon web belt (specops brand)

cheap soft sole shoes in some bags, boots in the bigger one. Some bags get a jacket others get a fleece top and cheap nylon windbreaker combo.

Gloves (vary)

ALL CLOTHING ITEMS STERILIZED, new, or very clean, most tags/logos/markings removed, obscured or permanently covered.

Carabiner - just because I have a whole bunch, and don't go rock climbing any more, just not sure what else to use them for, but I think they would be useful for something, and make the bugout bags look pretty cool when hanging from one of the straps.

GI Poncho and poncho liner in some bags.

watch (usually a lower end casio digital)

pen, paper small notebook (most bags)

hand cleaner/sterilizer stuff

crazy glue

wake-up pills, instant coffee, high octane energy gimmick items like "caffiene beans" for marathon long distance driving.

sleeping pills and or mini-bottles of liquor (a knockout thing for long bus/plane/train rides)

compass and or portable GPS (most bags, and all vehicles get a navigator GPS)

flashlights (minimum two)

plastic handcuff key (not all bags, but eventually all or most of them).

device which can take pictures and or video (some of the prepaid phones do this).

leftover/scavenged condiments from fast food joints.

MRE (stripped, not in all bags)

First aid kit (varies by bag)

Ibuprofen (varies by bag, since I eat them regularly out of the go to work bag when I have to do hard physical labor).

Earplugs (most bags)

Pepper spray (AKA Doggie B Gone)

Prior to me getting busted, each bag also contained a smoke grenade, CS grenade, large pistol (usually a .45, but sometimes a 10mm or 5.7) four magazines (loaded) and one box of ammo for the pistol. If SHTF, obtaining a concealable but powerful pistol becomes a very high priority. Secondary priority, obtaining antibiotics, specifically amoxicillin and cipro. I never made provisions for a rifle out of a bugout bag since that would be handled with what I called the "weapons bag".

One or two smallish trash bags (new) and or one or two used grocery store plastic bags (very disposable)

TOILET PAPER 1 ROLL !!!!

Q-tips - I have this mania about cleaning out my ears, frequently.

spare eyeglasses (not all bags).

smaller specops brand pocket organizer.
            Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

I gotta tell you from experience those condiments in the little foil packets from McDonalds, Burger King, etc, don't keep all that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
                I gotta tell you from experience those condiments in the little foil packets from McDonalds, Burger King, etc, don't keep all that long.
                I practice this thing daily, with the 3 day pack in each vehicle being my "lunchbox" and main thing to keep close by so the food items get circulated pretty regularly. Once on a job for the day, I usually don't leave for "lunch" thus I go "survival mode" until it is finished and I get paid, except the current one, where I procrastinate heading out by posting on the forum too much...

The only stuff I generally don't keep in there on a daily basis are tools, which go in tool boxes or tote-bins.
                Last edited by RT; October 9, 2011, 15:46.

Comment

I keep it simple to stay light.

prepaid phone
                  money
                  CC
                  first aid kit
                  tooth ache kit
                  blister kit
                  clogging packages
                  outdoor matches
                  fire striker with easy lighting starter package
                  compass
                  flashlight
                  folding saw
                  rain gear
                  two blankets (aluminum space kind a type)
                  water filtration kit with replacement filter
                  socks and undershirt/pants in vacuum sealed bag
                  soap
                  salt/pepper
                  gutting knife
                  25 kg packbag with camelbag and water save bag for the packbag
                  boots, camo jacket, camo pants next to the bag
                  HK 45cal with spare mag (12 rd mags) in bag
                  side holster with HK 9mm with 3 spare mags (15 rders)
                  AR with 5 mags side sling
                  50 rds of 308
                  308 long rifle with silencer
                  48° 8' 24" N 11° 34' 30" E<br /><br />“...das Fallschirmjägerbataillon 252... auf dem Eisberg in Nagold machte sich durch Leistung und Härte einen Namen.”<br /><br /

Comment

I forgot all the food items which goes from bars to rations but one thing I want to mention ... a small book with pictures of plants from the area that you can eat or use for cooking.
                    48° 8' 24" N 11° 34' 30" E<br /><br />“...das Fallschirmjägerbataillon 252... auf dem Eisberg in Nagold machte sich durch Leistung und Härte einen Namen.”<br /><br /

Comment

student type backpack
                      1 liter bottle of water
                      8x10 grey/green tarp
                      50 feet braided nylon twine
                      disposable vinyl poncho
                      1/2 roll of black 100MPH tape
                      disposable lighter
                      1 oz 100% DEET insect repellant
                      hand sanitizer
                      sample size anti bacterial liquid dishoap
                      sample size baby wipes
                      Laminated photocopy of local map
                      On a carabiner:
                      -disposable LED flashlight
                      -whistle
                      -cheap compass
                      -cheap folding knife
                      -P38 can opener
                      12 oz can of vienna sausages
                      2 granola bars and a bag of peanuts in a ziploc freezer bag
                      military mess kit
                      complete MRE
                      1 pr green wool army socks

I put these together for everyone in my family a couple years ago and gave them out as Christmas presents. Each one cost about $50. I made copies of their local area and laminated it. I just stuffed all the little things into a cheap backpack, zipped it up, and put it under the tree. Everyone loved them.

I have a nicer one for me. It's the same type of stuff, just better. I also included a crank light/radio/cell phone charger in mine, otherwise essentially the same stuff.

Comment

I've been scaling down my BOB, trying to learn to get along and survive with the bare minimum, thinking that mobility is the key. And a survival plan/strategy should not rely on any specific set of gear anyway, because you can always loose what you have...and the more primitive your BOB and tactics (natural shelter instead of a tent, wood for cooking instead of a stove), the less things you need to carry, and the less you have to rely on pre acquired items to survive.
                        My main BOB is now more like a backpack than a ruck, although in winter time I would pack it all in a ruck mainly because I'd be hauling more winter clothing and a heavy sleeping bag plus more fuel and food, not so much because I'd have more/different gear, just mostly more volume.
                        Last edited by m92s; March 26, 2013, 16:02.
                        "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

Yeah, M92, I've been going in that direction for years now. I still have a Modern framed ruck packed for a generic mission, but the bugout bags are intended as a way to get to your weapons and other war supplies.

I figured it was better to make 10 $50 bags than 1 $500 bag if I was more likely to have one of the $50 bags handy when an emergency occurs.

I keep one in each of my vehicles and my home. If I was dating someone I'd leave one at her house.

A cache doesn't have to be tied up in a tree branch or buried. You can cache a small bag with the essentials at a friend or relatives place so that you can get it and go. This can be done even if they aren't home if they have a garage or outbuilding you have access to. hanging a backpack from a rafter in a polebarn is a great place to keep a small, cheap, BOB.

Comment

I do a tiered bag system, with multiple bugout bags in different locations, with unfortunately, not the firearm component due to the legal situation.

Any one of the bags has sufficient clothes, food and basic necessities to sustain me for a day or two in comfort, longer if I pinch the supplies.

In each vehicle: Medium/small ruck sized bag, has one complete change of clothes in a color scheme that matches the season and environment. Sufficient food for one day in comfort, then a Datrex pack that in theory can go another day.

Some sort of water container in each vehicle, in addition to the bugout bag.
                            Each bugout bag has a large knife attached to the side. If I were to "bug out" it is my option to detach the sheath and wear it on belt, or put the whole thing in the bag. Each has some sort of multitool (usually a leatherman), small utility knife, fighting folder of some sort, and regular silverware. One set is upgraded to titanium utensils, another actual silver.

Each vehicle has a basic sleeping bag setup, each bugout bag has at least a small basic fleece blanket, that gets doubled up with the sleeping bag (sometimes a goretex cover and light bag, sometimes a poncho and poncho liner, depending on which bugout bag it is).

A separate commo bag is usually near me, contains or can contain an internet capable device, (laptop, tablet, or old smart phone that works with wifi), and two or more two way radios.

I have on large "deployment duffel" that I need to re-sort and re-pack. It usually contains more clothes, better sleeping bag and a tent. I am looking at upgrading some of that stuff this year, and right now it is not even packed. It would normally contain more food too.

It is critically important to pre-stage supplies at different locations. That's the bulky relatively low value stuff that you would normally have to ditch then suffer without if you are running light, but are really glad to have and will thank yourself for when you open up a stash to find them.

My EDC includes unregistered prepaid cell phones anyway,

One hydration pack which has extra pockets, those containing convenience food.

Commo bag can be upgraded to be the laptop "road warrior package" but I am also looking at obtaining spare used laptops that can take the same hard drives on a hot-swap system so that when I travel between fixed locations, I don't carry a whole computer setup, I just carry a lightweight internet capable device (like a tablet) and then a personal hard drive that I can pop into any one of the computers that I leave at particular locations, but if those are found and compromised, they are basically just dumb terminals.

My goals for this year are to actually be able to lighten my loadout so that I already have what I expect to need at several locations and not be necessary to carry a whole lot between locations.

That means in each major city or area I expect to be around, I want to have:

A vehicle, does not have to be new, just decent and appropriate to the area with no single vehicle being worth more than say $2500.

Four to six months supply of all food and consumables. That is enough to weather out just about any period of serious unemployment, depression, or short to mid term crisis.

Each year, add one location, a fully equipped and supplied bugout and or transit spot, so that eventually, I would be no more than a single overnight drive from "home" yet still be able to go coast to coast in the US.

Comment

2 different bags, two different possibilities. Doesn't matter, because if we're grabbing them, it has, indeed, has hit the damn fan.

The smaller one, a Medium to be exact, has:

Small box of assorted bandaids, and butterfly sutures. roll gauze, sling, etc)
                              Water purification tablets. Hemostats 2(ea).
                              An osmosis filter unit, w proper water bottle.
                              small bottle (4oz) of bleach.
                              discarded medication bottle with waterproof matches, cotton balls saturated with Vaseline in another similar bottle.
                              A couple of the magnesium bars with flint rods w/piece of hack saw blade.
                              A small bottle packed with lint from clothes dryer.
                              3 pieces of 100' ea of 550 BLACK para cord.

machete attached to outside of pack.
                              A small camp axe w/built in hammer head.
                              Leatherman tool, camp knife, which is an a SW3B-MP9 bayonet, in this case.
                              It mounts on either the Mossberg riot gun, or, the AR. Tough to beat the flexibility in this thing. That is one bad assed bayonet!!
                              A filet knife rounds out the selection here.

Ammo:
                              10 boxes of 5ea, 00 shotgun, in mag pouches.
                              12 ea 20rd mags loaded with SS-109, on an ammo belt w/milsurp mag pouches on web belt.

1 100 rd box of CCI minimag .22lr for pistol.
                              1 box of 50rd .45 for 1911.

Secured to the Alice pack,
                              1 ea military bedroll
                              1 ea sleeping bag, rated to -20F.
                              2 person tent, woodland camo pattern.
                              2 ea thermal blankets.
                              5 ea IR lumasticks.
                              1 pack of 8 AA batteries.
                              2 LED flashlights, use 1 AA battery.
                              1ea AN/PVS-14, with some accessories.
                              1 ea Garmin Oregon 450 GPS unit.
                              1 ea topo map.
                              IR weapon mount laser unit.

2 pr wool socks.
                              2 ea camo T-shirts
                              2 ea BDU, complete.
                              1 ea boony hat, OD, or, woodland camo.
                              2 ea camo gloves
                              1 ea full ghillie suit, made to suit surroundings.
                              1 ea camo paint multi color, and grey.

1ea spool of heavy fishing line
                              4 medium hooks.

1 camp cooking kit.

May things left off, because I can't remember what else is in there right off hand.

The larger bag has more, much more.
                              [CENTER][SIZE=1]“Corruptissima republica plurimae leges,”[/SIZE][/CENTER]
                              [CENTER][SIZE=1]“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Publius Cornelius Tacitus[/SIZE][/CENTER]
                              [CENTER][SIZE=1][/SIZE] [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER][SIZE=1]Sic Semper Tyrannis[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X