• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughneck Jase
    replied
    Re: US Army/Altama Black Speedlace Boots

Originally posted by RT View Post
    They are decent boots, I kept a few pair but they are the sort which don't have the replaceable soles. Considering that a boot sole replacement job is around $65 these days around here (recently had my Matterhorns done), it is not much of an issue with boots that now cost less than that.

My only problem is that if I wear them all of the time, I get ingrown toenails, but the design of the boots is pretty good for keeping water out. The toe is strong, next best thing to steel toe boots but not quite there if something really heavy falls on your foot.

One thing those boots are pretty bad for is climbing wet hard or sort of hard stuff. I had to really watch my footing when climbing onto an armored vehicle or those "climbing walls" made out of telephone pole logs at infantry school. Those boots just don't grip well or give you as good of a feel for the surface you are putting your feet on as the older or newer boots do. They are fine for stomping around on sharp rocks and rough ground though, which makes them fairly good construction worksite boots.
    Thanks for the info, RT. When I get some money together, I'm definately going to order myself a pair of those Black Speedlace Boots. Besides, I've got plenty of experience with combat boots with full leather uppers in the form of the old Australian Army GP Boots when I was with the Australian Army Cadet Corps during my senior years at high school (not to mention I've been wearing GP boots since I left the Army Cadets and high school in late 1999).

Leave a comment:

• RT
    replied
    Re: US Army/Altama Black Speedlace Boots

They are decent boots, I kept a few pair but they are the sort which don't have the replaceable soles. Considering that a boot sole replacement job is around $65 these days around here (recently had my Matterhorns done), it is not much of an issue with boots that now cost less than that.

My only problem is that if I wear them all of the time, I get ingrown toenails, but the design of the boots is pretty good for keeping water out. The toe is strong, next best thing to steel toe boots but not quite there if something really heavy falls on your foot.

One thing those boots are pretty bad for is climbing wet hard or sort of hard stuff. I had to really watch my footing when climbing onto an armored vehicle or those "climbing walls" made out of telephone pole logs at infantry school. Those boots just don't grip well or give you as good of a feel for the surface you are putting your feet on as the older or newer boots do. They are fine for stomping around on sharp rocks and rough ground though, which makes them fairly good construction worksite boots.

Leave a comment:

• Roughneck Jase
    started a topic US Army/Altama Black Speedlace Boots

US Army/Altama Black Speedlace Boots

G'day guys,

I was wondering, are the Black Speedlace combat boots that the US military just recently replaced a good boot to get and wear?

The reason why I'm asking is that in recent times, I've been looking at these boots on a few surplus websites as well as the Altama website and from what I see, they look like the kind of boots that would be good for everyday use. Since the exchange rate between the Australian dollar and the US dollar is good, I decided that I want to get a pair of these boots for myself (that's of course after I've saved up the money to get them ).

P.S. does anybody know of any US-based military gear/military surplus stores that are capable of taking orders from overseas? After checking out the Altama website and the other websites, it seems that they only take orders from within the continential United States and don't have the capability to take orders from overseas. If anybody knows of any stores that take overseas orders, please let me know.
    Last edited by Roughneck Jase; June 11th, 2010, 06:31.
Working...
X