Comfort rating for sleeping bags?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfort rating for sleeping bags?

Are these ratings spot on or are they a bit exaggerated? I'm not into sleeping outside in extremes these days, would like one that will do well in a range between 20-40 degrees. Its hard to find a bag that works well on both ends of the scale, I either freeze or sweat-then freeze!
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Re: Comfort rating for sleeping bags?

The ratings on bags vary alot. There is even more variation of what one person considers comftorable vs another. I know people who use sub zero rated bags in 50'F and others who use a mild weather sleeping bag in freezing weather. So take the ratings with a grain of salt.

I go camping with our boy scouts troop every month or so. I use a summer bag in the warm months (single layer of 'polar fleece'). I use a cold rated bag in cooler months and adjust the zipper for temperature regulation. In cold weather I put the cold bag inside the summer bag for more warmth. It works for me.

You can also adjust how many 'clothes' you wear in the bag. I wear my boggin cap, long johns and warm socks in cold weather. Just be sure to change into clean ones before getting into the bag!

Thx-Ace

PS: I don't call it cold untill water freezes.
    Last edited by acem; January 3rd, 2010, 21:05.

Comment

I'm funny about cold weather. I'll run around on my four wheeler at 40 degrees going to and from my deer stand wearing nothing but a pair of cotton socks, regular leather athletic shoes, fleece warmups, with an T-shirt under and a light jacket on top and never get cold. Let the temp drop into the low 30's and I'll freeze without adding two or three layers and using my Mr. Heater radiant heater in my stand. One of my problems is I can't sleep with too much weight on top of me, start piling on blankets and quilts to stay warm and I might as well just sit up all night.
      "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
      The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

My experience is that sleeping bag rating systems are always very very optimistic. I think they mean in a tent with a sleeping pad, and the sleeping bag inside a poncho. It is not so much a comfort rating as a survival rating.

I have a Special Forces Wiggys black bag in a GI goretex sleep system, but the problem is that you have to mummy up to withstand the real cold in it and I just don't stay happy all mummied up like that. I know part of that factor is the bags are made for 150 lb troops, not guys like me.
        Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post
          I know part of that factor is the bags are made for 150 lb troops, not guys like me.
          Quoted for truth.

I know Snugpak was putting two temps, "comfort" and "rated", the idea of comfort versus survival, as RT discusses. How someone "sleeps" is also the unknown variable, and even that can vary depending on one's health, eating habits, sleep patterns, etc.

With our (relative) winter on us in Arizona, it's been low to mid 40's for the past couple weeks, and since I don't like running the heater (dries my sinuses), the house gets into the low 70s to mid-60s by morning. My wife covers up when she hits the sack, yet generally I sleep almost uncovered until about 2-3 in the morning when I guess I crawl under the covers. By morning, I am covered up.

But for me, this can vary depending on if I am tired, what I had for dinner, if I've had a couple drinks, etc.

Use the bag ratings as a guideline...i.e. don't take a bag rated for 50 degrees on a mid-Winter hunt in Montana.

Comment

Sleeping bags....keep in mind you can always uncover yourself if you are too warm. but if your too cold you may not get warm. I'd get a heaver bag and just uncover if I get warm.
            Another trick is to get those chemical hand warmers and put it in the bottom of your bag when its cold and just pack a soft flannel blanket also. Used to use that trick with the Armys chemical heating packs 30 years ago.
            Peter 5:8
            "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

Working...
            X