My SFAS footcare plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SFAS footcare plan

I rucked 26 miles on the last road march at the end of SFAS. We started at 2200 and I came in sometime just before sunrise. It rained most of the night. We had 45 lb rucks (not including water) plus weapons and web gear.

This was after numerous other 5-10 mile road marches/runs, a few medium distance runs in BDUs and sneakers, and team week. I added it all up and it was over 350 miles in 3 weeks.

It was tough, and the entire experience was one of my greatest accomplishments in my military career. When I came back inI remember thinking, "That was tough, but not as bad as I though it would be."

I went all the way through selection and didn't have any blisters until that last road march. I did develop tendonitis in my achilles tendon during team week and trying to alleviate the pain from that is what by walking and lacing my boots differently. I used a variation of the two sock system, this is how it worked.

I started by rubbing my feet with vasoline. This eliminated friction and most hot spots. I then put on NYLON dress socks. This allowed sweat to wick away. I then put on thick padded USGI wool socks.

I wore standard leg combat boots with a set of sorbothane gell insoles. The insoles curled up on the last march but I had put several thousand miles on those boots and insoles before I went to SFAS so the insoles were about wore out. I should have replaced them before leaving for Camp McKall.

Re: My SFAS footcare plan

That's great info, using vasoline also prevents heel callouses from cracking, toes splittong, etc. Congratulations on your accomplishment. That's some serious time and distance. I would be lucky to cover half the distance with half the load. You rock.
    God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Well this all happened almost 10 years ago. After SFAS I went to airborne school, trained with 20th group for 8 months and then went to the SF Q course. I had an injury and didn't make it all the way through phase I and never went back due to the changes in my life after my divorce. I'm not in anywhere near that condition now.

Comment

ive always been a fan of duct tape on hot spots. you have any feelings toward that?

Comment

I would never do that xcept as an absolute last resort for an emergency. If you use it, the adhesive comes off, and irritates the wound. It makes the skin come off when you remove it and will bunch up and curl. When you finally remove it you're left with sticky goo that won't come off your feet.

I saw one guy use it at selection. This guy had a dozen different half baked ideas and none of them worked. He sprayed his feet with deoderant. He cut huge pieces of moleskin that he layered on his feet. He wraped his feet with duct tape. He laced his boots up differently every morning. He used white tube socks. Every idea he had just made it worse and he kept swearing that he was just unlucky and cursed with bad feet.

I was convinced that he just never learned how to take care of his feet and his ideas made it worse.

I do believe in mole skin, if used properly it is an excellent aid.

Comment

ive had some very good experience with duct tape, however, i never put anywhere near as many miles on my boots as you say you have. i would put the duct tape on before i had any issues (you know how you know where those spots are). on the top of the foot, the ball maybe, and always just above the heel. it worked for me but my feet dont sweat that badly. the idea is that the socks rub on the smooth part of the duct tape instead of the skin. i think i used moleskin before and got the same results. but like i said, i havent put as many miles on as you have.

Comment

26 miles is major mileage for a ruck march. My feet changed a bit over the years and I think I never did more than around 8 miles after age 35. I just hardly got blisters any more, but I got what I think are called "corns", this thick leathery sections of skin on the sides of my toes and back of the heel that I had to remember to carve off with a knife every once in a while.

The whole stocking or dress sock thing never did anything for me, but doubling up socks in the march did, I think mainly because the boots would stretch out and while I could pull the laces tighter, that does not do much for the lower part of the boot. A lot of my boots would end up around a quarter size bigger after being stretched out like that. Those various gel and running shoe type inserts seem to help a lot too, and yeah, you have to replace them every so often.

I got blisters, popped them with a small sharp knife and kept on marching. Lot of ibuprofen seemed to help with that situation too.
              Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Whenever I get blisters I pop them with a needle and thread which is sterilized with an alcohol wipe. I leave the threadin the blister to allow it to continue to drain. If you don't do this it seals back up and refillswith fluid.

It's inportant to keep the skin on as long as possible. It'll eventually come off, but if you can get at least a few says of new skin growth under the blister it will heal alot faster and be alot less tender.

Comment

Working...
                X