Body Armoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armoir

Anyone include body armour in a shtf bug-out scenario?? I'm thinking about concealable-under a jaclet. I have some new Safariland, very comfortable. Would be about 90 miles Just curious what others are thinking.
    God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Body Armoir

"Body Armoir"

I figured only Medical Examiners would have such a thing.

Yes, many people include body armor (American spelling) in their plans for a variety of reasons. Some even include rifle plates. It all adds weight, however, as armor is a trade-off between weight, cost and protection.

Have you been training with it on?

Comment

Re: Body Armour

I missed the mispelling until after I posted, sorry. Yes, I have trained some in the lower foothills, pretty lowspeed, up to 3.5 miles. I have a Maxpedtion chest rig that is also a plate carrier. With weapon, ammo, Camelback, and not much else, I'm pretty much done after that. With the Safariland gear, 4 fewer mags(360 vs 240rds) same Camelback, and small items I'm almost twice as fast over the same terrain.Almost 90min with the plate gear, 45 min with the lighter load. My basic BOB os about 24lbs unless I cram it with extra water and ammo. Been working out regularly since Jan, still have about 12lbs to lose to reach my goal weight. I know I can do better and have a lot of work to do this summer while we have some good weather. Been working on this for awhile now. Mrs thinks I'm touched, Dad understands because I'm coming to him. He's too old to bug out, so we all have to figure the best way to get to him. The last 3.5 mi is cross-country through moderately wooded terrain.
      God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I have a British issue kevlar helmet and a Blackhawk plate carrier, but no plates yet.

Sometime in the future when I gots money I'll buy some level III rifle plates and some suitable soft armor.

Many people prefer soft armor (molle) carriers WITH plates + mag pouches etc, but I think a regular "cop" type soft armor vest may be better, because you can use it under a jacket, and it doesn't scream military. Then you can add a plate carrier on top of it if need be.

Also separate plate carrier gives you the option of dropping some weight without giving up armor altogether like when you stop for a brake or whatnot.

But I can't claim to actually KNOW anything, it's just seem like a good combo.
        "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

Good that you're training with it....you're a leg up on most folks, including me.

Comment

Yes ...

Media vita in morte sumus

Comment

You can stuff a set of civilian cop body armor panels in one of several types of aftermarket tactical carriers on the market right now. There is a chicom company making the "Condor" brand gear which is actually pretty good. They have a knockoff of the Interceptor vest I was looking at in an airsoft shop. The panels are just foam, but I swear you could get the regular panels in there with next to no modification. I think maybe you would have to ad the plate pockets, but the guy behind the counter said they had a better model with plate pockets and everything.

Don't get too wrapped up in plate technology yet anyway as it is about to go through another fairly significant evolutionary step which is precision shape cast titanium. The plates will generally not be much (if any) lighter than the ceramic, but they will be less bulky.
              Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Devil View Post
                Yes ...

Nice set up there. Who makes that one?

Comment

Originally posted by recon View Post
                  Nice set up there. Who makes that one?
                  Dragonskin.

But it's ridiculously expensive.

Comment

Wood Devil

I hope that's not your rig.

First, Dragon Skin doesn't work. It's been shown to delaminate, esp under heat, or if it gets shot. Oops. Google it...there is a metric boatload of information on it, and how Murray (owner) is just not a guy who should be trusted. I don't believe Dragon Skin is even made anymore. I do know that if it were, I'd never buy it.

Right-handed shooter. Look where the pistol mags are. How does one plan to get the mag for a reload w/o having to holster or change gun hands?

Comment

Originally posted by TimW View Post
                      Wood Devil

I hope that's not your rig.

First, Dragon Skin doesn't work. It's been shown to delaminate, esp under heat, or if it gets shot. Oops. Google it...there is a metric boatload of information on it, and how Murray (owner) is just not a guy who should be trusted. I don't believe Dragon Skin is even made anymore. I do know that if it were, I'd never buy it.

Right-handed shooter. Look where the pistol mags are. How does one plan to get the mag for a reload w/o having to holster or change gun hands?
                      Just curious, Tim, but where would be the proper placement of pistol mags for the right-handed shooter if not on the left side of the body? Being no expert myself, it just seems logical to maintain grip of the weapon with your right, while retrieving a full mag with your left.

Also, all the bad press I can find for Dragon Skin is with the testing of the SOV-3000, a level 4 vest where they were firing AP at it. Nothing on the level 3 SOV-2000. And I do not plan of being in extreme 150 degree heat or soaking myself in diesel fuel for delamination.
                      Last edited by Wood Devil; June 8th, 2010, 07:25.

Comment

It would seem to me that for a right handed shooter like me the pistol mags should face 180 degrees in the opposite direction for a more natural draw.
                        "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

Working...
                        X