Footwear.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwear.

I got a pair of Danner Agitator GTX boots about 4 years ago.
    Excellent quality!!
    Steel toe, waterproof Gore-Tex bootie, fit great right out of the box.
    I even ordered them online without trying them on at a store beforehand.
    First time I ever did that but all I'd have to do is send them back if they didn't fit so no big deal.
    I initially bought them for a trip to a cabin in MI.
    I wore them maybe a day or 2 beforehand to break them in, and after 1 small adjustment they were virtually broke in.

Normally I walk in place in the tub filled with warm water for 10 minutes or so, then jog the perimeter of the courtyard down the block a couple times, then let em dry for 48 hours or so to break em in.
    For work boots anyway.
    Not with these Danners though, I didn't need to.
    Probably the happiest I've ever been with a footwear purchase.

I liked the Agitators so much I bought a 2nd pair after the trip for everyday wear in a more casual color scheme.
    They're short like standard hiking boots and actually look alot like shoes.
    But they have a "mountain chassis system", which is a pair of strange curvy treads that run parallel to each other on each boot.
    Outside that you'd think of them more as street boots.

A friend of mine that was in Afghanistan for a couple months insisted I get them when he found out I was buying boots specifically for the trip.
    He raved about them then, just like I am now.
    They weren't cheap though, and I didn't think I needed boots that troops were buying for the afghan terrain for a casual cabin trip to Lake MI.
    So I was skeptical.
    I'm not that guy who tries to look like some private military contractor with the starched-out 5.11 Tactical get-up, crew-cut, t-shirt 3 sizes too small and the same pair of Oakley's that every "Tackleberry" and "Dog The Bounty Hunter" has(my friend tries to be that guy-but he's not really that guy).
    If I remember right they were somewhere around $230-$250.
    The fact that I bought a 2nd pair is testament to how great they are.
    I don't normally throw that kind of money out for everyday wear boots.
    The quality of the boot is apparent as soon as you pick it up out of the box.
    The pair I use for real outdoor activity are still in great shape after 4 years.
    The right boot just developed a small tear where the tongue meets the instep at the base of the lacing system that compromised the gore-tex bootie(grabbed a couple pair of SealSkinz at a climbing shop to remedy that).
    Of course, I'm not jumping out of planes, running 4 miles everyday and fightin the enemy an **** like that in them.

So now I'm gonna buy a new pair of boots and I want something with comparable quality but not the same boot.
    Something new, not military looking like the Danner Acadia or flesh out desert boots/jungle boots blah blah blah.
    I'm not into Hi-Tec's or Tackleberries trusted Magnums or those freaky looking Adidas tactical boot.
    Already got a pair of Doc Martens.
    I'd like to get another pair of Danners, but most of the non-military looking line are kind of strange looking.
    So anyone got any good suggestions?
    If not Danner, maybe another brand just as good or at least somewhat close in quality and function.
    A guys shoes are the 2nd thing a female looks at when sizing a man up, keep that in mind.

Re: Footwear.

i dont know if it falls into the catagory of boots you dont want but i like my bates

Comment

Re: Footwear.

Originally posted by lifelike_carcass View Post
      I got a pair of Danner Agitator GTX boots about 4 years ago.
      Excellent quality!!
      Steel toe, waterproof Gore-Tex bootie, fit great right out of the box.
      I even ordered them online without trying them on at a store beforehand.
      First time I ever did that but all I'd have to do is send them back if they didn't fit so no big deal.
      I initially bought them for a trip to a cabin in MI.
      I wore them maybe a day or 2 beforehand to break them in, and after 1 small adjustment they were virtually broke in.

Normally I walk in place in the tub filled with warm water for 10 minutes or so, then jog the perimeter of the courtyard down the block a couple times, then let em dry for 48 hours or so to break em in.
      For work boots anyway.
      Not with these Danners though, I didn't need to.
      Probably the happiest I've ever been with a footwear purchase.

I liked the Agitators so much I bought a 2nd pair after the trip for everyday wear in a more casual color scheme.
      They're short like standard hiking boots and actually look alot like shoes.
      But they have a "mountain chassis system", which is a pair of strange curvy treads that run parallel to each other on each boot.
      Outside that you'd think of them more as street boots.

A friend of mine that was in Afghanistan for a couple months insisted I get them when he found out I was buying boots specifically for the trip.
      He raved about them then, just like I am now.
      They weren't cheap though, and I didn't think I needed boots that troops were buying for the afghan terrain for a casual cabin trip to Lake MI.
      So I was skeptical.
      I'm not that guy who tries to look like some private military contractor with the starched-out 5.11 Tactical get-up, crew-cut, t-shirt 3 sizes too small and the same pair of Oakley's that every "Tackleberry" and "Dog The Bounty Hunter" has(my friend tries to be that guy-but he's not really that guy).
      If I remember right they were somewhere around $230-$250.
      The fact that I bought a 2nd pair is testament to how great they are.
      I don't normally throw that kind of money out for everyday wear boots.
      The quality of the boot is apparent as soon as you pick it up out of the box.
      The pair I use for real outdoor activity are still in great shape after 4 years.
      The right boot just developed a small tear where the tongue meets the instep at the base of the lacing system that compromised the gore-tex bootie(grabbed a couple pair of SealSkinz at a climbing shop to remedy that).
      Of course, I'm not jumping out of planes, running 4 miles everyday and fightin the enemy an **** like that in them.

So now I'm gonna buy a new pair of boots and I want something with comparable quality but not the same boot.
      Something new, not military looking like the Danner Acadia or flesh out desert boots/jungle boots blah blah blah.
      I'm not into Hi-Tec's or Tackleberries trusted Magnums or those freaky looking Adidas tactical boot.
      Already got a pair of Doc Martens.
      I'd like to get another pair of Danners, but most of the non-military looking line are kind of strange looking.
      So anyone got any good suggestions?
      If not Danner, maybe another brand just as good or at least somewhat close in quality and function.
      A guys shoes are the 2nd thing a female looks at when sizing a man up, keep that in mind.
      Sounds like you've got some good boots there, lifelike_carcass.

I myself have got three pairs of boots, two of the boot pairs are military boots while the third pair are commercial ankle boots. Also, the three pairs of boots I've got are the black shine leather variety so I spend a bit of a small fortune in Kiwi Black Shoe Polish and Redheads matches .

The boots that I currently have are the following...

1) 1 pair of Australian Army General Purpose (GP) Boots in black leather (I had them since October 2003 and I had them re-treaded with a Vibram sole back in November 2007. What can I say, my stint in the Australian Army Cadet Corps during my final years at high school got me hooked onto the GP Boot and combat boots in general).

2) 1 pair of Altama Black Mil-Spec Jungle Boots.

3) 1 pair of Colorado Everest II black work/hiking boots (Colorado is an Australian outdoor clothing company so you know what I'm talking about).

I wear either pair of boots anywhere; be it to university, or to work, or to the local rifle range, or just for going "out and about" and they feel very comfortable. In regards to the opposite sex's views on you footwear, my advice to you is don't think about it. Be comfortable with what you wear and to Hell with what other people think .
      If you want peace then prepare for war - Ancient Roman maxim

Comment

Working...
      X