Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jungle Boots or Desert Boots

G'day everybody,

What kind of combat boots would you personally wear, the Jungle Boot or the Desert Boot? The reason why I'm asking is because I got myself a pair of Altama Black Mil-Spec Jungle Boots as a late birthday/early Christmas present back in October-November 2008 and I personally think that the Jungle Boot (and the Black leather combat boot) is a better combat boot than the Desert Boot.

Also, I don't see the big obesssion with the desert/suede leather combat boots that is going on right now. In fact, I personally think that the shine leather combat boots are better than their suede leather counterparts for urban, forest and jungle warfare as well as for general use.
    If you want peace then prepare for war - Ancient Roman maxim

Re: Jungle Boots or Desert Boots

Stand in the desert in Phoenix, Arizona, in black boots for an hour, then do the same thing in tan/suede.

I wear boots to protect my feet, not because they look pretty.
    [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
    [/URL][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by TimW View Post
      Stand in the desert in Phoenix, Arizona, in black boots for an hour, then do the same thing in tan/suede.

I wear boots to protect my feet, not because they look pretty.
      TimW,

I live in South-East Queensland, it it does get pretty hot here during spring, summer, and early autumn. Also, I wear black leather combat and work boots all year round and I don't feel the heat too much during the warmer months (all due to this part of Queensland being tropical/sub-tropical).

On another note, I wear combat boots because they are comfortable and provide a considerable amount of ankle support.

Comment

i like th ejungle boots, but I don't have to consider snow or extreme cold weather. They are also alot lighter.

Comment

Can't speak for the desert boots but you surely can have my share of those jungle boots. Not one Uncle Sam's brightest moments. On another note, next time treat yourself a little better and avoid the Altama boots altogether. You might get a nice surprise when your feet don't hurt quite so much.
          Guido

Comment

Originally posted by Cuznguido View Post
            Can't speak for the desert boots but you surely can have my share of those jungle boots. Not one Uncle Sam's brightest moments. On another note, next time treat yourself a little better and avoid the Altama boots altogether. You might get a nice surprise when your feet don't hurt quite so much.
            I've been wearing my Altama Jungle Boots since November 2008 and I feet never felt uncomfortable in them (even without the padded soles that come inside the boots). I've been wearing the old Australian Army General Purpose (GP) combat boot since my time in the Army Cadets a decade ago and they are pretty comfortable to wear after you have broken them in with plenty of black shoe polish and Dubbin.

Comment

Altama boots are crap. I find my GI jungle boots very comfortable and always have. I definately prefer them to the new ACU suede boots that I am wearing as I type this.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
                Altama boots are crap. I find my GI jungle boots very comfortable and always have. I definately prefer them to the new ACU suede boots that I am wearing as I type this.
                Good man, ISC. The Jungle Boot is a very good boot. I had a pair of Wellco Black Jungle Boots that lasted me for 2 years until my older brother took them from me after his other boots fell apart. I had them from February '04 until mid '06 and they were pretty comfortable despite them being in the Wide size instead of the Regular size. When I got my Altama Black Mil-Spec Jungle Boots late last year, I managed to get them in the Regular size so they won't feel too loose or too big on my feet (I'm Size 11 Australia (Size 12 US)).

IMHO, the US Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force should have retained the black leather combat boots and jungle boots when they adopted their new digital camouflage uniforms. I know that a while back many soldiers in the Australian Army were having problems with their new Terra Boots with the treads collecting a lot of **** in them e.g. spent bullet casings, stones and the boots being not being well suited for places like Iraq and Afghanistan (That what I remember the last time I checked). If I was in the Australian Army and I had to choose between the old GP Boot or the Terra Boot - I choose the GP Boot anyday of the week.

On another note, ISC. How long have you been serving in the US Army?

Comment

Well, if you need a nail driven in, do you reach for the hammer or the screwdriver?

Different work requires different tools. If you're going to be hanging out in a jungle, go for the "jungle" boots. If you're going to be in the desert, go for the "desert" boots.

If you're wearing them to look cool, I can't help you...you'll have to decide what you like best.

I will say, though, that wearing the black boots in a hot, sunny environment does suck.

Comment

Working...
                  X