• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meal,s, Ready to Eat - GI type

Hi Everybody,
    Gotta serious question.
    I got 4 cases of MREs.
    Do ya think I should host Christmas dinner at my home???
    NOT!
    But... the four cases are as follows: Three are still factory sealed. One case has been opened but complete. The dates are:
    Packed date----Re-Inspection---Date Quantity
    01/92_______01/95 01______each
    08/93_______08/96_________02 each
    05/31/96____05/99_________01 each
    There’s a statement on the side of the cases. To me it says the dates are not hard and fast. Depends on how they were stored.
    I think these things are still good. However if there’re the only thing I got to eat after a hurricane I'd like them to be fresher. If I was hunting, a bad meal would not be a discomfort. If I was trying to clean up after a hurricane and I needed the energy THAT would be a disaster.
    I’ve had them since the mid nineties. They have been in my home under controlled conditions, stored away from heat, light, or any variation in environment.
    I would like to sell them. I would not sell them if they are bad.
    I took a coupla pictures of them.
    What do you think?
    Paul the Ammo Guy 8-)

"Aim small, miss small".

Re: Meal,s, Ready to Eat - GI type

16 years is pushing it. If you opened them up you'd find out that much of the items are fine and that some of them are breaking down. They'll be safe to eat as long as they're not swollen, but some of the items are already losing nutritional content and turning into grey mush.

They're not worth much, You shoul open up the oldest one and try eating them and report how they were.

Comment

I ate one that was about 14 years old (old dark brown package...I ate it 3 or 4 years ago...it might have been older!!). Didn't taste too good, but I didn't get sick. The jelly was a glob of....glob. It wouldn't even squeeze out with an entire end opened...
      [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
      [/URL][/B]

Comment

Well,
        I was afraid of this.
        I will open up one of the oldest ones and try it out. Even with ideal storage time takes its toll.
        While in the Army, stationed in Germany, in 1977 a fellow soldier got hold of a box of C-Rations dated April 1945. They were fine. In fact he wouldn't even share them.
        So much for long shelf life.
        If I survive I'll write back with a critique. lol
        Paul the Ammo Guy 8-)

"Aim small, miss small".

Comment

they'll be safe, and some of the items will be just like they were during the Clinton administration. but some items will be bad. I recall the candies going bad first, and the tabasco sauce solidifying. The gum becomes hard as a rock and the chocolate changes colors. As long as they aren't swollen they'll be safe, the vitamen content just starts breaking down.

Comment

Wow! What a walk down memory lane.
            I goofed up the dates. Corrected numbers:
            Mfg______Reinsp Date__Qty
            08/91------08/94---------01
            01/92------01/95---------01
            08/93------08/96---------01
            05/31/96--05/99---------01
            With a little trepidation I opened up one of the oldest MREs.
            I chose a classic, Chicken a la King.
            Here is a list of ingredients:
            Packet of Chicken a la King - Warmed it up. Tasted like it did in the day.
            Peanut butter - Good! Like always.
            Crackers - Eh, crackers.
            Coco
            Grape Drink - both powders looked/tasted fine.
            Candy - Soft/runny.
            Tabasco - What color is this stuff when new? This is brownish-red. HOT!
            Accessory Packet: All these things were fine. No caking/discoloration.
            Coffee
            Creamer
            Sugar
            Salt
            Gum - Not hard. The same.
            Matches - Lit and burned.
            TP - I'll try that later.
            Hand cleaner - Still moist.
            Welll….
            Not bad. Everything is as I remember it. Typical of MREs you’ve got to be hungry to enjoy them. As an earlier post said the hard candy went soft. It leaked out a bit. Sticky.
            My conclusion: Superior storage does make a difference.
            Oh yeah, again eat these things when your Hungry.
            I'm gonna put these up for sale.

P.S. I took some pics if anyone is curious.
            Last edited by Ammo Guy; December 9th, 2008, 22:25. Reason: Forgot pics!
            Paul the Ammo Guy 8-)

"Aim small, miss small".

Comment

I have lots of old, dark brown MREs that somehow got left out of my rotation plan. It is sad to see them wasted.

Comment

If thry are stored in good conditions they last much much longer than they re guarenteed to. I ate dark brown MREs that were 10+ years old and except for nasty charms, dry towlettes, dry tabasco, and crunchy gum they were OK. A buddy of mine ate a vietnam era c rat a couple years ago and some of it was mushy paste but some was OK.

Comment

"While in the Army, stationed in Germany, in 1977(winter) a fellow soldier got hold of a box of C-Rations dated April 1945. They were fine. In fact he wouldn't even share them."
                  Paul the Ammo Guy 8-)

"Aim small, miss small".

Comment

Working...
                  X