Batteries: Myth or Fact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries: Myth or Fact

I keep hearing that alkaline batteries will have longer shelf life if stored in a refrigerator!!? Doesn't make sense as we all know that coold weather plays heck with vehicle batteries. Anyone know for sure?
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Re: Batteries: Myth or Fact

It's true. Lowering the temperature slows the chemical reaction which creates the electricity in the battery. Works for solid chemical batteries not lead acid or rechargeable batteries.

Freezers work good to preserve them also.

Comment

Yes it does work. I got some out of our "Crisper" Drawer and they don't even have an expiration date so who knows how old they are. I can tell you the company no longer makes the same type. Refilled the empty space with some that will expire in 2014.

Comment

When I was in high school we did some experiments in chemistry class about slowing chemical reaction and chemical change. Was an interesting part of the class. My favorite high school science class was the applied physics class I took. Where we had 6 small books we worked out of and approx. 80% of the class was hands on not just theory.

Comment

Thanks! I found a source for Duracell alkaline AAA, AA, C bstteries at bargain prices, one time deal too good to pass up. Good thing I have a unused small 'frig, there will be enough batteries to just about fill it.
          "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
          The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Anytime. Sounds like a pretty good battery assortment.

Comment

As best I can figure battery decay will occur because of two reasons

1) Reaction (decay) of the battery chemicals.

2) Drain of power through battery insulation materials (conductivity).

1) The reaction of chemicals is effected by temperatures. Most reactions increase reaction rate by two to three fold with a 10'C (18'F) increase from room temperature (75'F) according to my college chemistry book. However this is not the case in all reactions and I am unsure of the decay reactions of battery chemicals.

I do know battery output (amps) is dependent on temperature. My old Russian night vision scope has a remote battery pouch to place in a pocket to keep the batteries warm in the cold Russian winter.

So colder temperatures would reduce the chemical decay reactions of batteries at least some, mabey alot.

2) The Drain of power through battery insulation would be affected by changes in the conductivity of the insulation materials. The conductivity of materials change with temperature, but the change is small.

So colder temperatures would reduce electrical conductivity of the insulating materials, slightly.

In summary, storing batteries should increase the shelf life. How much it could increase shelf life is uncertain. I doubt it would be cost effective to pay the electric bill of a refrigerator or freezer to increase the lifespan of a battery.

As a side note the best way to store lead acid (car/boat/golf cart) batteries is to buy them dry (no acid) and only install the acid when the battery is to be put in service.

Thx-Ace

Comment

Very true on lead acid batteries but most places the only batteries you can get dry are lawn mower to motor cyclce not car. But they do have dry cell batteries for cars.

Comment

Working...
                X