paracord performance in salt water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paracord performance in salt water

hi all, wondering how surplus paracord performs over repeated immersions in salt water. It seems like the perfect stuff to do small lashings on scuba gear with, if it lasts. Does the salt water cause it to decay (since it's nylon ?) and does being wet change its elasticity or other proptys ?

Rinse well in fresh water and it's good for a long time ?

TIA
    When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.<br /><br />Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.

Re: paracord performance in salt water

btt - everyone reads this but no one responds - has no one, no one, used paracord in a 'maritime environment' ?

TIA guys
    When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.<br /><br />Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.

Comment

I live in Arizona.

No.
      [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
      [/URL][/B]

Comment

If it gets wet, it'll stretch more (water lubricates the fibers so they'll slip more).
        Freshwater rinse would be a good idea.
        I'd be more worried about deterioration from sunlight than from salt water.

Comment

sunlight and some chemicals along with particulate matter like salt will degrade nylon via abrasion

parachute systems that see the ocean would require a healthy bath in fresh water to abate the corrosion on the metal and wash out the salt crystals to abate the fibers from eating itself on the nylon....

Comment

Try treating the cord with a waterproofing solution.

There's also a sunblock product for gear.
            It's main use is for flags, tents, ragtop cars etc.
            So it should work equally well on nylon cord.
            I had a sample pack of it but don't remember how I got it.
            It probably came with some other product I have like car wax or something.

I'm just thinking out loud here and haven't tried this yet, but if you feel like experimenting try this::
            *Teflon Grease*
            It's waterproof, inexpensive, long lasting.
            Teflon reduces friction, so cord treated with it would resist abrasion where it contacts itself or other objects.
            Increasing the life of the cord.
            1 small tube would cover probably 200+ feet of cord.
            Treating cord like this should generally(meaning-not just for use in maritime environments) increase the life of it.

I'm just gonna use a few feet for experimentation.
            If using a new length of cord right out of the packaging I'd unwind it and let it soak for a few minutes in hot water with shampoo or dish liquid to dissolve any industrial oils or detergents.
            Agitate by hand for 30 seconds or so.
            Rinse well.
            Then throw it in the dryer on perm-press until completely dry.
            Now turn the dryer down to fluff long enough for the heat trapped in the cord to dissipate and relax the cord into a more natural state.
            Tie the cord to 1 end of the clothes line, throw some latex gloves on and squeeze a decent amount of teflon grease into the palm and fingertips.
            Then take the cord in your hand starting at the point where it's anchored and walk backward pulling the cord to stretch it while using your fingertips to rub the teflon in.
            Add more teflon as needed.
            Squeeze out the excess in the cord.
            Put it in a pillow case and throw it back in the dryer for awhile in an attempt to reduce the greasy feeling of the teflon so it can be worked with better.

I wouldn't do this to 550 cord unless the intended application could benefit from it.
            550 cord is durable enough as it is for general purposes.
            The teflon application would be good for things such as if the cord were being exposed to heat fluctuations, chemicals, places where it will be exposed to high amounts of abrasion.

Just a thought...

Comment

Where do you find the real stuff? Every last bit I've ordered from the usual internet junkers has been cheap crap that has as much in common with real para cord as a shoe string.
              "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
              The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Working...
              X