Molle vest on top of IBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molle vest on top of IBA?

This seems like a good idea, so if you need to take gear off, you don't need to take your IBA off. Question is, what type of vest? A MAV? It seems like a regular tac vest would be way to bulky. If anyone can point me in the right direction / links, etc, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Molle vest on top of IBA?

It really depends on what you'll be using it for, or who you'll be using it with. Some military units dictate that you must wear pouches attached directly to body armor, while other units could care less.

In the sandbox I wore a 2-piece MAV over my issue OTV, and it worked well for me. My OTV didn't have enough PALS space for what I wanted to wear, so the MAV fit the bill.

Comment

It's just for me. I would want the Interceptor without anything on it in case I need to put it on at night (I don't live in the safest area), so I don't want tons of mags, etc, unless I need them. So it sounds like a MAV might fit the bill. Agree or disagree?

As far as replacement carriers for Interceptors, I would like some sort of multicam, but don't want to pay through the nose. I'd like to get something new, but don't want to pay 400 bucks +. Any suggestions?

Comment

I don't know of anyone making an IBA cover in MultiCam, because folks using MutiCam don't generally use IBAs, but some other BALCS or similar cut armor. HSGI used to, but don't make their Centurion anymore.

That's why the price issue if you can find them at all. You might try Tactical Applications Group in North Carolina, and see if they make the Spartan II in MC.

A MAV is a nice lightweight rig.
        [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
        [/URL][/B]

Comment

I'd consider buying regular bodyarmor and wearing it under the carrier instead of IBA. The whole point of IBA is that you attach pouches to it and DON'T wear anything besides it, so if you're not going to attach pouches to it you might as well go with something less bulgy and, I assume, more comfortable.

I have a Blackhawk modular plate carrier (no plates yet) I plan on using over soft armor (when I can afford it) for the same reasons you stated.
          "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

Originally posted by m92s View Post
            I'd consider buying regular bodyarmor and wearing it under the carrier instead of IBA. The whole point of IBA is that you attach pouches to it and DON'T wear anything besides it, so if you're not going to attach pouches to it you might as well go with something less bulgy and, I assume, more comfortable.
            What servicemen are telling me, however, is that while this is true, the practical application is otherwise. When they're in the FOB, they're still required to wear body armor. Carrying your battle gear continuously (as when you attach everything to it) creates for an uncomfortable situation. Thus, servicemen have taken to carrying their battle gear as a separate rig, such as a MAV, etc.
            [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
            [/URL][/B]

Comment

Overarmor by SpecOpsBrand, was designed for this purpose.

Comment

I wear mine separately for the exactly the stated reasons- armor and load-bearing are two functions that do not overlap 100% of the time.

And BTW, there are indeed systems out there in multicam that carry both the IBA soft armor and hard plates. I have and use one.

Comment

Working...
                X