Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howzit from Hawaii

Aloha all
    just jhoined the site. if there is something about the islands you'd like to know been here all my life {born in the territory.

Re: Howzit from Hawaii

Welcome from Kentucky
    Can you even have a dream about a rifle or pistol in Hawaii or can you carry open or concealed or shoot?

Comment

Hello and welcome to AW!

My husband and I were recently discussing possible future plans to move to HI. We were thinking of possibly some of the areas that are around Hilo since it seems to be less of a tourist area and more 'country'. We both grew up in Nashville, TN and don't really want to live in a tourist area or in a big city.

We don't mind the rainfall there, but I'm a bit concerned about how I would react to the vog and if mold is a really big issue. I'd rather not have a red nose the rest of my life...

It's not something we plan on doing soon; but, maybe one day we might go and if the Islands like us well enough...we might stay.

So, in my very best Hawaiian...and I hope I have this right...Ke aloha n me ka mahalo kua!

( Aloha indeed with mahalo to you and me!)

Take up our quarrel with the foe<br />To you from failing hands we throw<br />The torch; be yours to hold it high.<br />If ye break faith with us who die<br />We shall not sleep, though poppies grow<br />In Flanders fields.<br /><br />Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae (1872-1918)<br /><br />Support...<i>really</i> support...our vets!

Comment

Welcome to the board.

Mike

Comment

We will be visiting our Princeville, HI time share again soon. It's a magical place. I have been to all of the islands over the years, but the "Garden Island" is still my favorite. I was amazed at how much Poipu had grown during my last visit.

Mike

Comment

Hey, bruddah. Welcome.
            Also born and raised there, central Oahu and Kalihi. Left after 43 yrs.
            Enjoy the site!

Comment

small world
              I was born and raised there, spent first 25 years of my life there went to Dole intermediate then Farrington high, go Govs! Where are you now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mama06 View Post
                Hello and welcome to AW!

My husband and I were recently discussing possible future plans to move to HI. We were thinking of possibly some of the areas that are around Hilo since it seems to be less of a tourist area and more 'country'. We both grew up in Nashville, TN and don't really want to live in a tourist area or in a big city.

We don't mind the rainfall there, but I'm a bit concerned about how I would react to the vog and if mold is a really big issue. I'd rather not have a red nose the rest of my life...

It's not something we plan on doing soon; but, maybe one day we might go and if the Islands like us well enough...we might stay.

So, in my very best Hawaiian...and I hope I have this right...Ke aloha n me ka mahalo kua!

( Aloha indeed with mahalo to you and me!)
                Aloha
                Hilo is a neat place to live,definetly not like honolulu. The pace is slower thing cost more than the mainland but there are compansations. It does rain a lot on the east side but not during the summer June thu Sept after a while you will love the rain it keeps evrything green and lush smells nice too! Ther are some great areas to live some of the really nice ones are: onomea, paipaikou,lapahoehoe, these are just outside of hilo fantasticly beutiful scenery 10 to 20 minuites from downtown Hilo but truly a world away. I live in Volcano which is about 21/2 miles from Kilauea. It is much cooler than Hilo like Hilo was 88 today we were 69. Mold and mildow is not really a problem in the lower elevations but up here 3600 ft elevation you just wipe stuff down once a month during the rainy season. Up here our water supply is by catchment and with proper filters really nice drinking water. You rarly have to buy water because it rains about 200 inches per year. and most homes are on septic so no huge sewer bills like honolulu. Its a really big big island and will truly take you a lifetime to see it from green sand beaches to waterfalls 400 feet high and of course the volcano. 12 of the worlds cliate zones can bee found on this island. My children like to go snowboarding and tubing on mauna kea during Christmas break. About the volcano and vog It is never a problem if you live in Volcano all the way down the Haumakua coast when the trade winds are blowing. We get trade winds at least 95% of the time. My son has asthma had it from when we lived in Honolulu , he has never needed his medication once in the seven years we have been in Volcano. Traditionally in Hawaii real estate tends to go up after an election so if you want to buy now is a good time. If there is something else youd like to know feel free to ask Hope I posted this in the right area

Comment

Originally posted by ches View Post
                  Welcome from Kentucky
                  Can you even have a dream about a rifle or pistol in Hawaii or can you carry open or concealed or shoot?
                  This is one of the sad things about living here all firearms require a permit , takes two weeks ammo cost is outrageous I reload and powder her in Hilo cost 43.00 a pound you can't order powder very easily no shipment by air no ammo by air to ship powder requires a special container holding a max of 98 lbs. cost about 1100.00 to ship plus cost of powder. Can't leave firarms in car only leagal to trasport to and from hunting areas to and from gunsmith to and from airport and range' Get caught with it anywhere else you have had it. shotshells when you can find them about 18.00 a box for skeet loads My advise if you really like and enjoy shooting sports unless you like red tape and got beucoup bucks for ammo and supplies (no aerosol spray paints, solvents by air either) Just visit.

Comment

Originally posted by rippy1 View Post
                    small world
                    I was born and raised there, spent first 25 years of my life there went to Dole intermediate then Farrington high, go Govs! Where are you now?

Living in Phoenix now. Cost of living always made finances uncomfortable for me.
                    Mililani '77 grad, I moved here alone. All friends/family are in Wahiawa/Mililani areas, some on Molokai. Never got into guns while I was there because the laws suck so I got a relatively late start, but loving it.
                    See ya around!

PS: Are you a member of forumshawaii.net? I'm trying to join but they won't activate my account. It's been 2 weeks already. Elite club?
                    Last edited by XHairs; August 8, 2008, 08:55.

Comment

Welcome rippy1! Enjoy!

Comment

Aloha to you and welcome aboard, from Kentucky.

Comment

Working...
                        X