Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I keep losing internet connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I keep losing internet connection?

I just heard back from Zwift, the online cycling training program I use. They said, on my end at least, that internet connection issues have been leading to my laptop freezing up. When I checked my log files for Zwift, I noticed a crap-load of "Network Errors." Zwift tells me that it is an issue they are still investigating and working on safeguards to eliminate the freezes when you briefly lose internet connection. Just yesterday I noticed the red X pop up over the internet connection icon on my Start Menu or task bar at the bottom right of the screen. Right away I knew that I had lost internet connection. Yet oddly the game kept working. Within a second or two the little red X went away and I was back online, but I can't figure out why my computers keep losing signal like that (seeing as they're all directly connected to the cable modem with Ethernet cables, thus no Wi-Fi on my end.

Anyone computer guys here that can know why my internet connection keeps dropping out for a second or two before coming back on? I have the Comcast modem upstairs, and the main computer (which is an old EMachine junker that is rarely used) plugged in there. In addition to that I have two Ethernet lines that I ran downstairs to two other laptops. Could there be an issue with too many lines running out of the cable modem?
    [FONT=Impact][SIZE=20px]TRUST NO ONE -- QUESTION EVERYTHING [/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: Why do I keep losing internet connection?

How old is the router and the power supply that you are using?

I've seen this happen when a power supply starts failing.

Does this happen on the rest of the computers? Check.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I think its Comcast

I have the same issue, random loss of connection - that corrects itself usually in less then a second
      [B][/B]

Comment

most likely the cable modem is on its way out or line issues.
        call comcast they can read the modems logs.
        VERITAS VINCIT
        A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
          How old is the router and the power supply that you are using?

I've seen this happen when a power supply starts failing.

Does this happen on the rest of the computers? Check.
          It's fairly new. We had it replaced within the past year, IIRC.

It's the Arris one that comes from Comcast:

The main computer, a desktop is junk and only my dad uses it, as he's the only one with the patience of a stoner to sit there for 45 minutes as it starts up. The ones that are affected are my two laptops that are connected to the router by ethernet lines.

Comment

Originally posted by LYCAN View Post
            I think its Comcast

I have the same issue, random loss of connection - that corrects itself usually in less then a second
            Oh, so it's not just me?

Then Comcast better get it's sheet together. Either that or compensate us with a deduction in our monthly bill for the constant disruptions.

Comment

Working...
            X