Old Computers - Still Useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Computers - Still Useful?

Dad had several old computers around. One is an Apple, and ooolllldddd Apple that won't even boot up. Another is a 'laptop' that I believe still runs something like Windows 3.1. It boots but that is as far as I have ever gone with it. Weighs about 25 lbs methinks. Then there is an XP machine, and his current machine that has Windows 7 Home Pro edition.

What are the thoughts here on keeping one of these - aside from the Apple of course - to use as an off-net machine for writing, word processing in general, maybe spreadsheet stuff (which i happen to suck at) and personal stuff I'd rather not expose to possible hacking like insurance inventories, financial sheets, etc.

Are there any good reliable XP programs that can be transferred between the off-line and on-line machines via thumb drive, etc? IOW versions of Word or WordPerfect, etc that will work on both XP and 7 Home, etc? There are3 no Windows 10 machines here.

RR
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

DUMP!!!!!! Anything that says Window's, if you want that old stuff.

Definitely go with a Linux system, as they are "open source" and are constantly updated.

I STILL cannot get over all the Folks, who want to cling to this old Windows crap!!! It is no longer supported. It MAY even explain why AW was hacked!!!!

Keep up with the times!!!! THEY.....are out there!!!
    And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Led, have to consider that some of us are comfortable with Windoze, buggy as it is. Personally I loved XP and hated moving away from it. And yes, I believe Bill Gates is a greedy so-and-so stuck inside his liberal utopia fantasy. If anything though Steve Jobs was even more so.

Not opposed to Linux for any reason save that it means relearning and different programs, etc. I'm a user, not a techy.

RR
      Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

I am using Windows 10 myself. After I went through all the settings, and turned of all the stuff I don't need.......I love it! It is not the Demon everyone says it is, if you tailor to your liking. You are tracked no matter where you go.......so why NOT have the bestest and fastest.......and SAFEST computer you can have???

I LOVE old cars and motorcycles...........but an old Windows system? Not a whole lot!!
        And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

xp era machines can range from useless to not that bad. the win7 machine is likely useful.
          openoffice has versions for xp and up.
          Check ebay on the old mac value some of them have little value but some are in demand and sell for enough to make it worth bothering..
          VERITAS VINCIT
          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Working...
          X