Window 7 will not reboot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window 7 will not reboot.

So after having the problems with the version of windows I had I started over and installed windows 7 pro 64 bit. But now whenever there is an update to a program and it says that it needs to reboot it will not. It will get to the shutdown screen and the icon keeps spinning away but nothing happens. I can leave it for 45 minutes and come back and it is still spinning away. The only way out of it is to kill the computer and reboot. I can reboot to safe mode and it will reboot fine from there so I am guessing it is something running that will not let it reboot I just do not know what. Any ideas?
    Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
    Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Re: Window 7 will not reboot.

I understand it will not reboot when it says it needs to, but are you also saying it will not reboot from a cold start?

You say it will reboot into Safe Mode from an apparent cold start, but have you not tried a normal boot from a cold start?

You definitely have some process running in the background preventing it from rebooting. I had a desktop that would never shut down or go into sleep mode because of this problem. I never did find out what it was.

Go to: Run and type in msconfig. Select the Services tab. Check the box that says Hide all Microsoft Services. Then click on Disable All. Save and exit and try and reboot.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Well that did it. I disabled all those not microsoft services and it rebooted fine. Now will just have to find which one is causing the hang up.
      Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
      Patrick Henry

Comment

Yep. Start each service individually and re-boot until you find it.
        [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Update:

There is a service called Intel Smart Connect Tech Agent. In that service there is a an option Keep Data Fresh. I turned that off and it seems to reboot okay. With it turned on it would hang on reboot. I still have not turned the rest of the services on yet so do not know if others are causing a problem. But that is one causing a problem.
          Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
          X