Well now the stupid puter is getting BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well now the stupid puter is getting BSOD

The iso has to be burned to a cd as an image file option in the burning software.

booting from usb: on some motherboards only the USB ports on the back of the machine directly on the motherboard will boot.
    Some its only the ones nearest the top of the computer on the back that will boot.
    I use the top most usb port on the back of the computer for booting as it is the one that is most likely to work.
    Some usb drives can not be made bootable, the installer however should throw a warning in that case.
    VERITAS VINCIT
    A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Okay got it

Ran it for like 10 hours overnight and it shows 10 passes with no errors and was still running. Is there a time limit on the or does it keep repeating?

The strange thing is it has now stopped doing it. It did it once a week or so in November until the 27th. That day it did it 18 times. The 28th it did it another 4 times and has not done it since.

The only things I can think of different is about that time I turned off windows auto update and on the 27th I changed out the DSL router. Do not know if any of things had anything to do with it but it seems to be working now.
      Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
      Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Comment

it will run forever.
        10 hours is plenty.
        VERITAS VINCIT
        A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Well really do not know what is going on. It ran fine till yesterday when I tried installing a usb card. At that time it died and would not even get past starting the boot process. It would try to fix start up and failed to do that. I tried starting in safe mode and it would not do that. Finally gave up and reinstalled windows. Got it running with just the basic program and last night it crashed again with the same error. I tried moving the video to the onboard video and it did it again. I have run the memtest for 10 passes and had no errors. I have run WDDiags on the hard drives and they all passed. I did not remove the graphics card when I moved over to the onboard video. Do not know if that would give and error even if not connected to the monitor. Are there any other test that can be run to try and find where this is occurring? Thanks
          Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
          Patrick Henry

Comment

If after all of that I would say your MB is failing.
            [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Kind of what I thinking. Was just hoping there was a test that could be run to be sure.
              Patrick Henry

Comment

go into the bios hardware section if it has one and note the voltages and post them here.

look over all the boards with a strong flashlight, anything look burnt or broken? any burnt smell?
                VERITAS VINCIT
                A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Popped it open and did not smell anything and could not see any burns or such. I will pull the boards tomorrow and check closer.

BIOS Hardware
                  CPU CORE - .992V
                  CPU I/O - 1.016V
                  SYS 3.3V - 3.376V
                  SYS 5.0V - 5.160V
                  SYS 12V - 12.144V
                  INTERNAL GPU .008
                  DRAM 1.472

CPU TEMP 43C
                  SYS TEMP 31C
                  Patrick Henry

Comment

the on board video should be disabled when you add a card by the bios if its on the cpu. Are you saying the on board video works with the add on video card in place?
                    What kind of computer(make and model factory made, motherboard info if home built) is it and which cpu?

It may have a separate video card on the motherboard then its not an issue.
                    If its cpu's on board video that's working then something is wrong with the bios or add in video card or both.
                    That would cause all kinds of issues.
                    VERITAS VINCIT
                    A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Originally posted by ah1g View Post
                      Popped it open and did not smell anything and could not see any burns or such. I will pull the boards tomorrow and check closer.

BIOS Hardware
                      CPU CORE - .992V
                      CPU I/O - 1.016V
                      SYS 3.3V - 3.376V
                      SYS 5.0V - 5.160V
                      SYS 12V - 12.144V
                      INTERNAL GPU .008
                      DRAM 1.472

CPU TEMP 43C
                      SYS TEMP 31C
                      looks ok
                      VERITAS VINCIT
                      A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Originally posted by strmrdr View Post
                        the on board video should be disabled when you add a card by the bios if its on the cpu. Are you saying the on board video works with the add on video card in place?
                        What kind of computer(make and model factory made, motherboard info if home built) is it and which cpu?

It may have a separate video card on the motherboard then its not an issue.
                        If its cpu's on board video that's working then something is wrong with the bios or add in video card or both.
                        That would cause all kinds of issues.
                        Went in bios and only thing I can see is something called IGD multimonitor (enabled). Yes both work but sometimes if I switch to the onboard and then back to the card the card does not work until I reboot the computer.

This is a home built with a MSI B85 G41 PC Mate motherboard and a AMD Radeon HD 5450 graphics card.

Should I disable the IGD multimonitor setting?
                        Patrick Henry

Comment

Yes that could be an issue.
                          Its an intel cpu and the internal video being enabled with an external card is not a supported configuration by intel on desktop cpu's.
                          It does sort of work on laptops which could be why msi added it.
                          VERITAS VINCIT
                          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

it looks like the proper settings are:
                            Graphics Boot Priority to PEG and IGD Multi-Monitor to Disabled
                            VERITAS VINCIT
                            A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Originally posted by strmrdr View Post
                              it looks like the proper settings are:
                              Graphics Boot Priority to PEG and IGD Multi-Monitor to Disabled
                              Will try that.

Edit
                              In the integrated graphics section I have
                              Initiate Graphics Adapter = PEG
                              IGD multi monitor = Disabled

Question? in the boot menu there are selections such as UEFI hard drive. What is the UEFI hard drive?
                              Last edited by ah1g; December 12, 2016, 12:11.
                              Patrick Henry

Comment

UEFI hard drive is the setting to use the modern style "bios" to initiate boot which is correct for windows 10.
                                VERITAS VINCIT
                                A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Working...
                                X