Well now the stupid puter is getting BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well now the stupid puter is getting BSOD

A bit back the computer was locking up and that the only way to get it back was a hard reboot. Anyway I disconnected the windows auto update hopeing that was it and it worked good for a while but now it goes into BSOD. did it 18 times yesterday. I reconnected the windows update and it is till happening but not as much. So far only three time today. Anyway the logs show system critical message that shows kernal power event 41 catagory 63. The event data is BugcheckCode either 0, 122, or 144. I have run malwarebytes daily and ran spybot yesterday but it is still doing it. Any ideas other then reinstalling windows?
    Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
    Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Re: Well now the stupid puter is getting BSOD

Usually a hardware or driver problem. Can also be caused by overheating.

Pull your RAM one stick at a time and see if it's caused by the RAM. Make sure the system is physically clean. Intake and exhaust vents, fan blades, filters, etc.

If you're able, check voltage on all power supply rails.

Windows Update in itself is not known to cause this, but something (like a perceived out-of -date driver update could. Check your update file and see what was downloaded.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Okay.
      I keep the machine blown out so there is not dust in there. I have not physically pulled the memory but have run the windows 7 mem test and all test good. I went into the bios and it shows that the system fan is running at 1000 rpm and the temp is 36C and the CPU fan is running at 700 rpm and temp is at 43C. Are these normal numbers?

Since you say it could be hardware related I had just changed the DSL router when this started happening. Is there some way to see if that is what is causing the problem? I do not have another DSL router to swap out. On that note can any router be used for DSL or does it have to be from the provider? I do have a linksys router. Thanks.
      Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
      Patrick Henry

Comment

The router shouldn't have any effect on the computer performance.

If you can't track it down, nuke and pave. I would only back up your documents, photos, and music to an external source. You don't really want anything left over from the operating system on a fresh install.

Make sure you have your software keys somewhere to do all of your re-installs if they are required.

Couple of last items, do you have any memory you could swap out even though Memtest shows good? Have you had any video problems immediately before this happened?

Could be the GPU failing. Is this a desktop or lappy?
        [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

Comment

Have all the software keys so no problem there. I have 2 hard drives one is mostly operating system and internet, the other is for storing files. That is where lhotos videos etc are kept.

This memory is fairly new where all the other i have is not compatible with the mobo.

This is a desktop running a fairly new graphics board. There is nothing unusual it just blips and crashes giving me the error listed. The computer was locking up prior where thd cursor would move but nothing would work. If it was a locked up graphics card I would tgink the cursor would not move either. It does have a onboard video so could try that to see if it helps.
          Patrick Henry

Comment

See this link and follow the steps under answer; http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-7e8708edc24e

See if that fix's the issue.
            "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
            [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
            MOLON LABE!
            AC0XV

Comment

Originally posted by ah1g View Post
              Have all the software keys so no problem there. I have 2 hard drives one is mostly operating system and internet, the other is for storing files. That is where lhotos videos etc are kept.

This memory is fairly new where all the other i have is not compatible with the mobo.

This is a desktop running a fairly new graphics board. There is nothing unusual it just blips and crashes giving me the error listed. The computer was locking up prior where thd cursor would move but nothing would work. If it was a locked up graphics card I would tgink the cursor would not move either. It does have a onboard video so could try that to see if it helps.
              Definitely pull out that graphics card and see if it will run on the Intel integrated processor. Video cards are notorious for causing unexplained problems with computers.

Comment

run memtest86+ its the most reliable memory check.
                http://www.memtest.org/
                Also try and disable all power saving features in the OS.
                VERITAS VINCIT
                A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

He said he already ran the mem test.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
                    He said he already ran the mem test.
                    He said he ran "windows 7 mem test". Which does not scan the windows reserved areas of the memory. No windows based scanner can.
                    memtest+ will scan all of it.
                    I have ran memtest or memtest+ and they come up with immediate memory errors on a system that all the windows based scanners passed. Replaced the ram and it fixed the problem.
                    VERITAS VINCIT
                    A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Oh, sorry I misunderstood.

I'm still curious about pulling that video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
                        Oh, sorry I misunderstood.

I'm still curious about pulling that video card.
                        no problem!
                        A bad video card could cause it also.
                        Over the nearly 20 years I have been doing this memory errors and overheating are the leading cause so I eliminate them first.
                        After that its a mix of bad drivers, bad card, failing power supply or bad hard drive.
                        Rarely its a bad cpu or motherboard unless its of the generation where capacitors were failing left and right on motherboards.
                        There aren't many of them that lasted this long.
                        VERITAS VINCIT
                        A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Thanks. Lately it has not done it again. Will try these.
                          Patrick Henry

Comment

Originally posted by strmrdr View Post
                            run memtest86+ its the most reliable memory check.
                            http://www.memtest.org/
                            Also try and disable all power saving features in the OS.
                            So how does one get this to work? I have downloaded it every which way and cannot get it to run. If I use the DOS/Win it wants a 1:44 floppy which the computer does not have. If I use the USB it will not boot to the USB. I have switched the boot order to include the USB but the computer has 6 USB ports. If I use the others it will not copy to the CD saying the CD is not writable. Any ideas?
                            Patrick Henry

Comment

I haven't used in in awhile. Does it give you the option of downloading it as a bootable .iso file you can burn to DVD?

Comment

Working...
                              X