computer hangs up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer hangs up

Lately the computer will at time just hang up and do nothing. You can click on any icon and nothing works. If it does do anything you get the spinning cursor but nothing happens. Only thing that works is kill the computer and reboot since it will not shut down or anything. The hd light during this time does nothing. This is not that old of a machine running windows 7 home. Any ideas what is causing it to hang up?
    Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
    Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Re: computer hangs up

Spyware, adware, trojan, virus, piggy-backed programs that downloaded when you downloaded something else, etc.

Check the device manager and find out what is using up all of your resources.

On my T520 I found out that Windows Update was running constantly for reasons unknown. My CPU was at nearly 100% usage and slowed everything to a crawl. I shut that down and disabled it and all is well again.

I just have to periodically manually check for updates is all.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Windows Update has been a real headache lately using a full core at 100% for hours on end.
      On a single core system this brings it to its knees and on a 2 or 4 core system makes it less responsive.
      It is like MS is punishing everyone who refused to go to 10 by breaking windows update.
      It can be temperately fixed by resetting windows update but it comes back if you leave auto-update on.
      My solution run the reset tool and turn off auto updates and once a month run windows update then go to bed.
      On a few systems I had to reset them manually.
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058
      Last edited by strmrdr; November 8, 2016, 10:19.
      VERITAS VINCIT
      A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

I checked the never check for updates in the control panel. So will see how that works.
        Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
        Patrick Henry

Comment

You still need to open the Services tab and stop the service and change the startup to 'manual'.
          [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

Comment

Got it, I think

Went to:
            Control panel/sys&security/admin tools/services/windows update/properties/dislabled/apply.

Sound right?
            Patrick Henry

Comment

Yep. You got it. Has performance improved, and did you determine that it was Windows Update that was using up CPU cycles?

Comment

Thanks.
                Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
                X