Windows Alongside Linux..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Alongside Linux..........

I don't understand when you say Ubuntu icons. There are no icons in BIOS programs. There's barely a GUI. There should not be any sort of software selection in BIOS. None at least that I am familiar with.

Can you get a shot of the screen in BIOS with a camera phone to upload?
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

No Herr Walther. First off I wish to thank you for the time and thought you are investing in my screw up........

The deceased tower is sitting in the kitchen, not hooked up. I can only run one box at a time, and my "backup" is it, for now!!

To answer your question, I hover over all the icons in boot........and they come up "Ubuntu"!!! Darndest thing I ever seen.......... No other drives available.

But it still won't install. THAT......may be MY problem, as I have NO idea what I am doing with partitions.....as requested on the installation disk.........it does give me the option to alter them, but I have had no success.

It just would be SWEET........just to get any OS to install on it. I could take it from there......

I think I will just buy a NEW box, and be done with it! Then I can save my "backup" machine for another day!!
      Last edited by Led; October 26, 2016, 18:39.
      And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

There is no mouse control in BIOS. When you say 'hover' I take it to mean you have moused over some icon on a screen.

You are not in BIOS when you are doing this. You have to be in the BIOS right after your systems enters the POST cycle before the O/S attempts to load into the memory.

Different manufacturers use different key presses to get to the BIOS screen as the machine is coming alive. Sometimes it's F1, F8, F10, or F12.

You need to start pressing one of these keys right after you hear the first POST beep.

If your're in the BIOS you should see a screen that looks very similar to this. It might be slightly different depending upon the BIOS software:

Once you get here, you can go to boot options and select the CD/ROM as the first boot device. You are missing this screen if the system is attempting to load the OS system from the hard drive.
        [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by strmrdr View Post
          brand and model of the computer?
          ?????
          VERITAS VINCIT
          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

IT LIVES!!! Don't ask how I did it, as I really have no idea. But I did manage to get Mint installed.

I tried to install Win10 first, and played around with the "repair PC" option it has. After that the CD/DVD icon was once again showing in the BIOS boot lineup. I selected that to boot first, and put in the Linux ISO. And I got a clean install of it!

So I am back in business, somehow..........
            And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Things are SMOKIN' hot again!!

Installed Win 10 on my "VMware Workstation" again, and I swear it is a lot faster now!

What a difference a day makes!! Beats me how it all came together......but I am leaving things ALONE from now on!

Another tip for Linux users.......NEVER....and I mean NEVER use "Bleach Bit" as a "CCleaner" for Linux........

It will nuke everything that ain't tied down! That is what started all my woes and this long thread!!!

Comment

Glad you got everything back together. I wish I'd been there for this epic O/S-hard drive - BIOS battle to see what was actually happening.

Comment

There are STILL two of them in the boot menu.

It is an Asus computer. They look like a drive with a little cord coming out the side. I have NO idea how they ever got written into the BIOS permanently, but they are still there. They don't seem to be bothering anything, as all my DVD/ROM and USB's still work after reinstall. But you move the pointer over them, and they say "Ubuntu".

Beats me!!! But somehow I got the DVD/ROM icon to show up again. THAT is what was killing me! Once I had seen that again, I was good to go. The Windows "PC Repair" option on the install thumb drive saved me, I believe.

Now things are better than they ever have been........FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

Comment

Can you post a picture of this? Camera phone, screenshot, or anything? I really want to see what this looks like.

Comment

No go Walter......

WAY too busy getting this pig running again, to do all THAT stuff!

All I can say right now.....is "you just had to be here"!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X