Windows Alongside Linux..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Alongside Linux..........

I cannot figure this out!! I am running a total Linux system. I would like to have a dual boot to Win10 also. But everything I find says you need to have Windows installed FIRST!

Well, I tried that, and my Windows would not load for installation after nuking my Linux partitions, as per the instructions. But I DID manage to easily get my Linux back on the computer!!

But there are one or two things I need Windows yet for. I have tried "Virtual Machines" of various types, and they SUCK!! My USB ports would never show up. One REALLY needs those!!!

I would love to have a true "dual boot" machine........

Everything I read tells you how to add Linux to Windows..........but nothing in the opposite direction!!!!!! I am at my wits end with this already!!!

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Re: Windows Alongside Linux..........

There were some problems with the new features in Win8 that required some system setting changes to allow a dual boot, but they were additional hooks, albeit to "boot faster". But I would not be surprised if Win10 did not allow a dual boot. Windows wants to be the only OS on your machine and like the old browser wars, MSFT will not play nice.

You may need a dedicated Win10 machine until someone figures hot to dual boot it.
    “I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.”
    ─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.

Comment

In Windows 10 you MUST turn Fast Startup OFF. If you do not, Windows 10 will lock the hard drive and only Windows can be booted! See this link to disable this 'feature' http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Ran into this at work, it will also curtail your ability to use Wake on LAN tools to wake the computer as it shuts off all power to the NIC regardless of your NIC power settings or BIOS settings.
      "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
      [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
      MOLON LABE!
      AC0XV

Comment

Originally posted by Papadoc View Post
        In Windows 10 you MUST turn Fast Startup OFF. If you do not, Windows 10 will lock the hard drive and only Windows can be booted! See this link to disable this 'feature' http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Ran into this at work, it will also curtail your ability to use Wake on LAN tools to wake the computer as it shuts off all power to the NIC regardless of your NIC power settings or BIOS settings.
        Yes......I was trying to do a fresh install OF Windows onto my computer......but it kept saying the BIOS was not compatible. I tried EVERY friggin' setting combination I could do in the BIOS! Including going to all "default" settings. I just stared at a dark screen from then on.......

I then put my Linux ISO back in......INSTALL came up right away after switching to "legacy" for another OS..........BEATS ME!! I know UFEI has something to do with it........

I guess it is a Linux "only" machine now!!!
        And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

brand and model of the computer?
          VERITAS VINCIT
          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

And version of Windows you are trying to load.

This is the video I used to install my dual-boot Windows 7 / Linux Mint system.

This guy knows his stuff. There are two videos you have to watch. Follow his instructions to the letter.

This is much easier to do if you have a second system from which to watch the videos while you are performing the installs.

My system is not only a dual-boot configuration, but each operating system is on its own 500 GB hard drive in my Lenovo T520.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KM0TPFZg2Y[/youtube]
            [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Well..........I found a Virtual Workstation from "VMware". It works a LOT better than the supplied "Virtualbox" with Mint. I have my Win10 working well with that right now............

There is just something about "partitioning" a hard drive that I cannot somehow grasp a hold of!! Just like with most things, I KNOW that I am making it out to be a LOT harder than it really is!!

Comment

I don't understand it completely either. I just follow the directions and it works.

There's a difference between allocated space and room on the drive and a bunch of other mumbo-jumbo crap dealing with partitioning I don't know about.

I should read up more, but even if I did, for as often as I need to do it I would just forget it again like I have in the past.
                [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

Comment

I ended up turning it into a brick. Now I can't load ANY OS on it!! And there isn't any OS on it now to work with. Keeps saying there is a missing partition...........so I too am on my spare machine.

::

Comment

Can you get to the partitioning program?

You may have deleted the partition and before reloading an OS you have to create a new partition.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
                      Can you get to the partitioning program?

You may have deleted the partition and before reloading an OS you have to create a new partition.
                      NOPE!! I go into the Asus "EZflash" in BIOS, and it is all dead......just one empty partition and no way to add new ones. Tried everything in the BIOS including clicking on the default setting.

BOTH Linux and Windows hang on installation due to missing partition. I think I managed to totally kill the machine......somehow???
                      Last edited by Led; October 26, 2016, 12:56.

Comment

Do you have an O/S installation disc?

If so, you may need to check the BIOS to make the CD/ROM the first boot device. Normally an O/S disc will format the drive before loading and you'll be back in business.

Comment

The CD/ROM icon, the USB and all the others icons that USED to be there, are also missing. But I DO have four "Ubuntu" disk icons in the BIOS boot menu!! THATS IT!!! But still cannot get an install of it. Keeps saying partitions are messed up. I tried to fix them through the Linux install disk, but it did not work.......

As I said.....I REALLY ****** it up!!!

Comment

I think you may have messed up the bootloader program along with the partitions.

You see no startup options in the BIOS to make the CD/ROM the first boot device?

Comment

Nope! Just a bunch of "Ubuntu" related icons.........BOTH Linux and Windows will start the install process, but then the partition warnings start popping up.

I am thinking I somehow smoked the BIOS, and may need a factory reinstall.......no disk came with the computer itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X