Intel I7 does not work with windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel I7 does not work with windows 7

So got a new computer. Tried to reinstall system image but could not get it to work. So reinstalled windows 7 pro and now it comes back saying windows version is not compatible with my cpu and that updates will not work. Sheesh. Seems that the intel I7 cpu has to run windows 10 to work properly. Problem is I hate the windows 10 on the wife's computer but looks like I will have to to get this stupid thing to work right. Mouse does not work right. Scroll wheel is inoperable. Is there a way to get windows 10 to operate similar to 7?
    Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
    Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Did the system image come from the new computer?

Windows 7, 8, & 8.1 are not supported by seventh generation and later Intel processors. All it means is that you will not receive any updates.

Look around on the internet for the updates. There are sites out there that have them for download, but I suspect (as others do) that it is a Windows update that causes this error to force you to upgrade to Windows 10. If you didn't have the error in the past, but now have the error there is no other explanation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...s-version-that
    Last edited by Herr Walther; September 10th, 2018, 18:37.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

system image was from the computer that got toasted. Took out the MB and hard drive.
      Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
      Patrick Henry

Comment

I have never heard of being able to successfully load a system image of one system to another, different system.

Comment

Well looks like I will either have to get a I5 CPU or go to windows 10. Got 7 pro running but it is buggy as all get out. Refuses to install programs. Just lock up and nothing works. No mouse, no CtlAltDel, nothing. Have to hard reset to get it working again. Is there still a free windows 10 update around?
          Patrick Henry

Comment

The freebie ended some time ago. But it appears in your case they have succeeded in what they set out to do. That is, to get people on Windows 10 so they can mine your data. Of course they are attempting to do that with Win 7 and Win 8 users too with telemetry downloads that they disguise so well you have to research every download now before installing it to keep your computer from 'phoning home'.

The good part about Win 7 and Win 8 (if there is a 'good' part of Win 8) is that you are not forced into accepting their downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by ah1g View Post
              Well looks like I will either have to get a I5 CPU or go to windows 10. Got 7 pro running but it is buggy as all get out. Refuses to install programs. Just lock up and nothing works. No mouse, no CtlAltDel, nothing. Have to hard reset to get it working again. Is there still a free windows 10 update around?
              ZD Net says there are still free upgrades available... https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/
              I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
              Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I have discovered a theoretical procedure at my Thinkpad forum that may allow you to install a copy of Windows 7 on a 7th generation Core i7 machine. I can post the procedure now, but the person doesn't report if it worked or not. Another person is going to try this and report back on success or failure.

You will have to load it from a USB stick and make sure your BIOS is set up to recognize it as a boot device.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

I looked around and saw a unique response to a poential way to get it to work. I have not tried this method and may be what Bibin tried in the other post. Now that it's been nearly a year there may be a better shot at completing this. This link posted by RBS might be helpful as well...
                It is possible to install Windows 7 onto a T470 with a 7th generation (Kaby Lake) processor. Make sure that you have integrated USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 installation media (install.wim) using Windows AIK. Intel has a handy tool for this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... or-Utility

Then, grab the boot.wim and setup.exe from a Windows 10 .iso and copy and replace them on your Windows 7 USB installation. Also delete the ei.cfg from the Windows 7 USB (located in \sources directory).

Ensure that your BIOS is set up to boot from USB (including settings for secure boot off).

You should then be able to boot from your modified Windows 7 USB installation. The initial environment (Windows Preinstallation Environment or PE) will look like Windows 10, but that's only because you replaced the boot.wim with a Win10 file. It will install Windows 7.

If you're installing onto NVMe rather than HDD or SSD, be sure to integrate Intel's rapid storage and NVMe drivers into the install.wim as well.

After installation, you should be able to install all the other necessary hardware drivers.

Note, however, that Intel's graphics driver (technically a beta release) for the 6th generation chips (HD 620) work for the integrated graphics in 7th gen SoC. See article here:

http://digiworthy.com/2017/01/28/window ... gp-driver/

These drivers can be downloaded from Intel and other motherboard manufacturers:

Version 4508 Beta at Asus
                Version 4508 Beta at Gigabyte
                Version 4552 Beta at Intel (actually only for HD 615 and HD 620)
                Version 4565 Beta at ASRock

You don't need to integrate them into install.wim, just install after Windows 7 boots.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... orage.html

Comment

Alright, the site member that attempted this was successful and he now has Windows 7 running on a 7th Generation i7 machine. That's a lot of sevens.

Here you go:

I successfully modified the Windows 7 installer to load, recognize USB 3.0 devices as well as the NVMe SSD. I did not go beyond letting the installer see the various W10 partitions of the factory preload. Here's what worked - fairly simple, actually...

You need a Windows 7 Pro x64 ISO (I used one with SP1 already installed). You will also need these two files:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds121505 (NVMe hotfix - also includes USB3 drivers but I did not use or test them on my TP25).
                  https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/hvui08ww.exe (USB 3.0 controller driver)

Start by writing the Windows 7 ISO to a USB drive. I use Rufus as it's simple and always works for me. Be sure to use GPT partitions and NTFS file system.

Run the NVMe hotfix .bat - there are instructions included with the installer.
                  Add the USB 3.0 drivers. Instructions on doing that are here: http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to ... 3-0-ports/

Reboot to BIOS setup (F1). Disable secure boot, and enable legacy support. The last bit is important - even though we're doing a UEFI Windows 7 install, the USB EFI boot will fail if BIOS legacy support is disabled...

Save and boot to your USB installer (F12). It should pop up and allow you to proceed as normal. Finding drivers for the rest of the components is the other side of the coin...

This is where I stopped: http://wannerweb.ddns.net/Public/Photos ... 7-inst.jpg

Comment

To be honest.......I like Win 10! I did not open an account with them, to use their "cloud service" or anything else.......and turned off every thing I could possibly turn off in the settings.........and "uninstalled" all the games and B.S. I have no use for.

But other than all that, I find it NOW to be a very stable OS, compared to all the older versions! Why hang on to these outdated and no longer supported Windows versions?? I don't get it.

STILL wish Linux could even begin to compare........but it just cannot.
                    And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

When I was going to it was causing an error and not installing so please help me with the proper solution so I that I can fix it.
                      Last edited by Herr Walther; April 4th, 2019, 04:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X