Arrrgh computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrrgh computers

So lightning killed my computer and am having a hard time getting a new one like I want. The power supply checked out as being good and since it is a750W unit would like to used because of my high end graphics card. I would also like to stay with the windows 7 pro op system I am comfortable with. Now problem is I am having a hard time finding one that has that within limits. Do not want to spend an arm and a leg for it. The computers I have seen all have dedicated power supply's instead of the standard 24 pin power supply. (Dell, HP, etc) I would build my own again but it would cost more then getting one already built and then adding my cards to it. Question can a 24 pin power supply be adapted to say a dell motherboard? That is the biggest hang up I am having. Thanks.
    Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
    Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Since you already have a case and a PSU and a graphics card, and possibly some other re-usables such as a hard dirve, I don't understand how building your own machine could be more expensive than buying a new one.

Windows 7 security support ends in 1.5 years. Go with Windows 10. It does not suck like Windows 8 did. You can use your old Windows 7 key to activate a new Windows 10 installation for free.

Comment

Mainly as I do not know if the memory, CPU have been toasted along with the MB or not. I do not want to by a new motherboard and then have to get a CPU for it. That is what would run the cost up over what I can get a referb for. Wife has 10 on hers and I hate it. If for no other reason I have to login every time I turn the darn thing on.
      Last edited by ah1g; August 1st, 2018, 10:09. Reason: I
      Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
      Patrick Henry

Comment

You can set Windows 10 to log in automatically if you like. My son does his that way.

Comment

After a year of using Windows 10 Pro on my main Lenovo T520 I reloaded a Windows 7 Pro .ISO last week.

I do not like being forced to accept updates that I may not want for my system, I don't like the layout and structure of Windows 10, and I don't like the graphics. My printer has never worked correctly with Windows 10 drivers either. I had no on-screen graphics icons for volume, screen brightness, mute, etc because there were no drivers for Win10.

If it were my fried computer, I would sell the salvageable parts on Fee-Bay and put that money toward a new system. Copy the Driver Store folder, or at least the Wi-Fi driver to an external drive or thimbdrive or SD card, and load a Windows 7 Pro .ISO. You'll still probably have to pay for it (Win7) unless you buy a Windows 10 system with downgrade rights.

Those are getting few and far between found mostly on business-class systems as many IT departments are not in a big hurry to migrate to Win10 until they are 100% certain it is a stable OS.
          Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I just need to know if a ATX 24 pin power supply can be used on a 8 pin motherboard. I see there are adapters but want to make sure that they will work.
            Patrick Henry

Comment

I have no idea. Sorry.

I have never seen an 8 pin MB.

Comment

Noland has a point as you HAVE sever good parts simply build and unless you NEED windows go to Fedora it is free and it works for most things
                Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Noland View Post
                  You can set Windows 10 to log in automatically if you like. My son does his that way.
                  How do you do that? I have tried everything and it drives the wife nuts to have to login all the time.

I am going to rebuild the computer as I have not been able to find anything comparable anywhere.
                  Patrick Henry

Comment

It has been so long since I set his account up that I can't remeber how or what I did. I do know it is a local machine account and not a MS account.

Try this and see if it helps. https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...rd-windows-10/

Comment

Originally posted by Noland View Post
                      Since you already have a case and a PSU and a graphics card, and possibly some other re-usables such as a hard dirve, I don't understand how building your own machine could be more expensive than buying a new one.

Windows 7 security support ends in 1.5 years. Go with Windows 10. It does not suck like Windows 8 did. You can use your old Windows 7 key to activate a new Windows 10 installation for free.
                      I thought the free Win10 upgrade window, closed quite a while ago............??????

If you did not upgrade before the close date, I believe you are out of luck.
                      And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Originally posted by Led View Post

I thought the free Win10 upgrade window, closed quite a while ago............??????

If you did not upgrade before the close date, I believe you are out of luck.
                        The free upgrade-in-place ended but you can still do a fresh install of Windows 10 using a Windows 7 activation key.

It worked as recently as February for me, anyway. They could always stop allowing it at anytime though.

Comment

Hmmmmm.............proved wrong again??

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/
                          And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Beat me to it Noland!!!! LOL!!!

Comment

The article you posted goes even further. It says you can do an in place upgrade even though MS announced that program ended in 2016. That is good to know. I had no idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X