Dead Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Computer

Had a lightning strike and apparently took out the computer and DSL router. Heard a pop and saw a spark in the router and it went dead. Then saw that the computer was off. So tries starting the computer and nothing. No power supply or anything. Took out the HD and tested it on another computer and it would not even spin up. So computer is dead. Any ideas what was taken out without pick and choose items? Also if I just get a new computer, I have the system image backed up. Can that be used to reinstall on a new puter? This was all on a CyberPower surge/backup power supply. So much for saving your computer by having it on one of these things. The wife's computer was on a different circuit and the GFL blew but did not harm her computer. Alwas something.
    Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
    Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

You might want to check. At least some of the surge-protector/power supply things come with a warranty that they will do what they are supposed to do, or they pay for the equipment that gets fried. Or, at least they used to. I ain't looked at any in lo, these many years, and the ones that I did see it on were high-end ones at work.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I have not had much luck putting back up on new computers...but it is worth trying as it has sometimes worked. I closer the new system is to you old on the better I would think.
      karl
      Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Been checking and I probably can get a refurb for cheaper then piecing this back together. Warranty on the backup is only for three years and way past that now. Anyone have good luck with refurb computers?
        Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
        Patrick Henry

Comment

Hp 8300 are good refurbs for the non-gamer. They have a good reputation for long life and there are millions of them out there off lease so the price is low. Get the 8GB ram model. I am running one right now and know people that have a bunch of them.
          Parts are available if needed. It has a bios update available for Meltdown and Spectre .
          The only issue is they rarely come with the stand to stand them up so you need to brace them or lay them down if you have space.
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          VERITAS VINCIT
          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

There is but one solution.

RR

guncartoon.jpg
            Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

You can also try Dell Refurbished site. I have bought several laptops from them and all work just fine. I have not purchased any desktops, but they have several available and should work just fine.
              Laptops Starting at $199 & Desktops $99. Buy Dell Refurbished Computers, Laptops, Desktops and more - Includes Dell Warranty.
              "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
              http://survivalblog.com
              MOLON LABE!
              AC0XV

Comment

If I get a refurb is it possible to reinstall the system image I have backed up or will that only work with the original operating system?
                Patrick Henry

Comment

What os is the image and what kind of computer was it?
                  VERITAS VINCIT
                  A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

It was a home build running windows 7 pro. It had a intel i5 processor.
                    Patrick Henry

Comment

You should be able to. Most from Dell come either with Windows 7 or Windows 10.
                      "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
                      http://survivalblog.com
                      MOLON LABE!
                      AC0XV

Comment

Originally posted by strmrdr View Post
                        Hp 8300 are good refurbs for the non-gamer. They have a good reputation for long life and there are millions of them out there off lease so the price is low. Get the 8GB ram model. I am running one right now and know people that have a bunch of them.
                        Parts are available if needed. It has a bios update available for Meltdown and Spectre .
                        The only issue is they rarely come with the stand to stand them up so you need to brace them or lay them down if you have space.
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        I have one of the HP 8300 refurbs running my home network 24/7 and have had no issues. The one I have is an i5 4 core with 8GB of ram. I think I paid $149 for it from New Egg. Mine came from Arrow Direct through newegg business. Link- https://www.neweggbusiness.com/produ...tyCodeValue=-1
                        Last edited by Bigfoot; May 27th, 2018, 10:09.
                        I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
                        Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                        X