X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ah1g
    replied
    Re: Arrrrgh computers

Isn't that the truth. I started out with dos way back when. I believe it was 4.0 that had just came out. What a piece of junk that was. I guess that is one of the first time microsoft released software that was not ready to be release yet.

Leave a comment:

• Herr Walther
    replied

We're pretty spoiled in this day and age.

I remember when all this crap had to be manually installed and configured.

Now, all you have to do is boot the machine and it practically connects itself...in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• ah1g
    replied

I'm back!

What a deal. Went to the motherboard website and they listed the ethernet controller as being a realtek RTL8102. Then went thru the window full hardware install and found that they listed Realtek except that all they had was for the 8139. So said what the heck installed that and it connected. I guess the higher number was compatible with the one on the motherboard. Thanks for all the tip or I probably would still be going around in circles. Sheeesh and I did this as a job for 15 years. ::

Leave a comment:

• Herr Walther
    replied

Something similar happened to my sisters computer. It wouldn't connect to the router anymore. She brought it over to me and there was the yellow exclamation point by the ethernet controller.

I downloaded Windows updates (for a Vista machine) and the drivers were reloaded. After the update, the ethernet wireless card was seeing the four networks available around me including mine and connected with no problem.

Leave a comment:

• ah1g
    replied

I now have limited or no connectivity. Network did not assign a network address to the computer.

I tried the release and renew. While it did release it failed to renew.

I have a yellow exclamation point on a ethernet controller but when I try to install it it fails.

The only Internet adapter aavailable when trying to add hardware is microsoft loopback adapter which is now being used.

What ip config says about that is:

Physical address 02.00.4C.4F.50
    IP address 169.254.25.129
    Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway
    DNS Server
    WINS Server

Hopefully there is something here the get this straightened out

Leave a comment:

• Bigfoot
    replied

Here is something to try, Realease and renew your ip.
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...a/ipconfig.htm

Leave a comment:

• kARL
    replied

Yes.
    If your internet worked before you installed the card, it is almost a sure thing.
    Unplug the box, and pull the card and try to bet on the net.

You may also have to clear the cmos

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...41524429,d.eWU

But first, I would just pull the firewire card restart and try the net......you may have to reinstall the drivers.
    karl
    Last edited by kARL; January 28, 2013, 17:29.

Leave a comment:

• ah1g
    replied

It appears that I have lost the onboard lan. I tried installing the drivers from the motherboard manufacture and get a message ethernet controller could not be found. It is there but somehow has not found it. One thing is I have a fire wire card in the computer. Could that be conflicting with the ethernet controller?

Leave a comment:

• kARL
    replied

sounds like the drivers for your MB internet did not carry over....or that your firewall is blocking.

So if you have the drivers disk for your MB, try and reinstall.

If you don't have the disk, take a look on the net.

Or perhaps before that, try turning off any extra Firewalls....zone alarm...Norton etc.
    if you do that and it works, you know that it is a firewall issue.

karl

Leave a comment:

• ah1g
    started a topic Arrrrgh computers

Arrrrgh computers

Well the computer is really messed up somehow. I cloned a hard drive that was dying and in the process killed the network somehow. I have the icon showing that there is a network connection with 400Mpbs. I also have a connection light on the router showing there is a connection. But I cannot get on the internet. I have tried ipconfig and it does not even show a ip address. All I get is "windows ip configuration" I ping 127.0.0.1 and that works. I ping the wifes computer that I am on now and it is unreachable. Somewhere something is messed up and I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas on how to get this working again?
Working...
X