Can someone figure this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone figure this out?

I've got a Linksys wireless router (WTR160N). I'm not sure if it's an issue or not, but I want to be sure.

I'm on Windows 7. When I go to my start bar on my laptop, in the far right corner there is the wireless connection status icon. I click on it and what pops up is a list of available connection, my own being the first, and the others a number of my neighbors'.

Also on the list is an unsecured Linksys connection. This one is also ours, created before we knew anything about added security. A long while back I did all the router security tweaks, switching to WPA-2, adding passwords and other things which include disabling SSID broadcasting so others can't find me.

However, that old unsecured Linksys connection appears on the list (with the yellow exclamation point of warning beside it) for others to connect to. At least I think they can connect to it. There are times where my internet speed (cable) is as slow as dial-up. So I've often wondered if someone else is jumping on and sharing this unsecured connection.

How do I delete that still listed connection?
    [FONT=Impact][SIZE=20px]TRUST NO ONE -- QUESTION EVERYTHING [/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: Can someone figure this out?

Can you connect to it? If so it is live. There should be a way to go into your router's setting to delete it or reset the router entirely. A quick call to Linksys might help.

Comment

Actually, no, I can't. But I was concerned that others could. So maybe it's just showing up, then, on my own connections and not to those around the neighborhood.

Regardless, I'd like to delete it from the list of supposed available connections.

Comment

It saves past connections for future use.
        If you cant connect then no one can.
        To remove it from the list:
        Open Manage Wireless Networks by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, clicking Manage wireless networks.
        Your saved wireless networks are displayed.
        VERITAS VINCIT
        A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Originally posted by strmrdr View Post
          It saves past connections for future use.
          If you cant connect then no one can.
          To remove it from the list:
          Open Manage Wireless Networks by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, clicking Manage wireless networks.
          Your saved wireless networks are displayed.
          Thanks for that, strmrdr.

Strange, though ... It only shows the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Devil View Post
            Thanks for that, strmrdr.

Strange, though ... It only shows the one.
            Then it sounds as tho you need to get busy.
            [B]Grumpy Old Fart [/B][IMG]http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/core/images/smilies/graemlins/050.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
            X