Another problem- ZIP drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another problem- ZIP drive

I have a lot of files stored on ZIP discs. The computer I bought recently doesn't have an expansion bay so I picked up a used usb Zip 100 drive for it. The drive has it's own power supply so it doesn't have to rely on the usb for power. When I got it hooked up the computer found it and installed the windows drivers for it. Life was good...until the next reboot. It would not boot up. I shut the computer down and unplugged the ZIP. The computer booted up fine. I plugged the ZIP back in and now it won't work and there is no drive letter assigned to it any more. In device manager, beside the ZIP drive, there is a yellow ! mark. When I double click on the drive to view the properties it shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I have gone to the manufacturers web site and downloaded, then installed, the latest drivers to no avail. I have used their trouble shooting suggestions to no avail. I have googled the problem and tried many different things suggested to fix the code 10 fault. No good there, either.
    I uninstalled the ZIP in device manager, then ran the new hardware wizard. It detects the drive and I try to install the drivers from a specific location, click the have disc button, but can't find the drivers I downloaded. They are located under C:\Documents and Settings\Default\My Documents\Downloads\ioware-w32-x86-402, which I can find in "My computer", no problem, but it doesn't show up on the list in the Hardware Update Wizard... I can get to C:\Documents and Settings\Default\My Documents\Downloads, but then the ioware-w32-x86-402 doesn't show up. It is looking for an .inf file, but there doesn't seem to be one?

Also, I went into the BIOS and disabled the USB in the boot sequence, but the computer still won't boot with the ZIP, or my thumb drive, for that matter, hooked up. I don't know if it would boot before with my thumb drive, though, as I never tried it.
    HELP?
    \"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.\" -George Mason
Working...
X