Computer rebooting itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer rebooting itself

Last weekend my computer started rebooting itself. I checked the memory with memtest and it passed all tests. The next thing I tried was replacing the video card with one out of an old computer. It's an old, slow card and I just let windows load the driver for it. The problem went away. It's not reared it's ugly head for almost a week, now. I bought a new card and installed it yesterday and loaded the drivers that came with it. I used the computer for several hours yesterday after installing the new card and drivers with no problems. Today I get on the computer and it's rebooting again. I *think* I just replaced the driver with the windows one. I went into control panel/system/hardware/device manager/display adapters and updated the driver. It appears that it reloaded the windows driver, but the Icon is still in the system tray for the nvidia driver. When I check the driver signing in device manager it shows "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher", so I assume it's using the windows driver, correct? Any way, the computer has been on for about 30 minutes now, since I did this and, so far, it's been fine.
    The old card is an nvidia GeForce V8200 with 64 mb of memory that's been in the computer for several years. The new one is an nvidia 6200 LE with 128 mb of ram. I'm wondering if one of the XP automatic updates that loaded recently may be having a conflict with the nvidia drivers? Any thoughts?
    \"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.\" -George Mason

Re: Computer rebooting itself

both of those cards put out a large amount of heat are all your cooling fans working all heatsinks clean proper airflow though the case the computer may be shutting down do to overheat that is always my first guess when a computer suddenly starts shutting down/rebooting is the reboot leaving an error in the event viewer in control panel/system tools???

Comment

The V8200 has a fan, which has been noisy for some time. The cooling fins are clean. The 6200 LE is a new card with no fan. The computer hasn't rebooted since I switched drivers back to the windows installed drivers, so I think it's a conflict somewhere in the software. The event viewer shows no errors since the install yesterday and there are no error message windows on reboot like it does when recovering from a critical error.
      Last edited by TriggerM44; September 25, 2009, 11:20. Reason: added information
      \"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.\" -George Mason

Comment

really sounds like a heat issue to me if it was a driver crash it would have left an error in the event viewer if you have a dvd player in that machine try playing a dvd or a big high resolution video or something that will really work that video card hard if it reboots half way through then you can almost bet you have a heat issue i would think.

Comment

check for bad capacitors on the motherboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
          VERITAS VINCIT
          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Working...
          X