Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reb posted this..Aussi sniper worth reading

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/a...21-12urq2.html

Reb posted this. I was not sure if you guys had seen it.
    karl
    Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Re: Reb posted this..Aussi sniper worth reading

Yes, thanks Karl I read it on General tread first.

He was typical of an Aussie age that is almost totally gone for ever now - most regrettably.

Incidentally I call them 'sharp-shooters' or 'marksmen'.......

The origin of the word "sniper" [I believe] comes from waterfowl shotgun-shooting in UK.
    The Snipe is a very small/tasty, wading water-bird - mainly used in the 1950s in East Anglia for delicious hot winter soups.
    They were always very difficult to hit as they are a tiny and fast bird and often take off quickly in groups of 10/20 or more with cries and a whirring sound- suddenly. Enough to make you jump!
    They have a swerving action when startled taking off from the swamp.
    I was told to wait for 3-4 swerves and then fire when it straightened out and picked up speed. But it's hard to wait that long when you are 14 yrs and using #6BR size shot, as the pattern from my light SxS 20GA were 1/4 and 1/2 choke and were for rough-shooting - not for long-range sniping- so I never shot one !

The 2 species we have in Aus come all the way from Japan/Manchuria I was told - they are both fully protected by law now.

Shot-gunners that could regularly shoot snipe were much admired and were called a name to signify that = " Snipers".....

The next most difficult birds to hit were Woodcock I was informed.

Thanks a bundle for posting that article here Karl, and thanks to Reb too.
    Last edited by Big Bunny; January 22nd, 2015, 02:36. Reason: punctuation
    There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
    Ron Owen.

Comment

Thank you for history of the word.
      I have a no 4 mk ll with a almost new bore and a very nice trigger as soon as i can, i have try it at long range 500 meters or more. At 250 meters Winston..I name my rifles...will with handloads and firing from sand bags, do MOA.
      karl
      Karl

Comment

Reb posted this..Aussie sniper - worth reading

That's most impressive Karl!

The #4 is really the best, very strong action. Some were even X-rayed here and then re-barrelled for 7.62 NATO for target use by Sportco without any problems. (Most of our NRAA shooters use .223/5.56 now.)

Well, as regards the 'obsolete' .303Br calibre:-

I have a .303 Jungle Carbine + bayonet, 1946 Fazackerley; a 1915 Enfield -made Mk1 Mk3* [Aussie-refurbished in the grim days of 1942/3, then re-stocked with Aussie woods in 1952] with the old pattern sword-bayonet; a Savage No4 Mk1 + US-made spike bayo with added "ladder" sights; a converted 1889 Martini-Enfield .303 with the old cruciform, long, spike-bayonet completes my collection (if you don't count a BSA .310 Martini Cadet.)
        They were previously on display in a lockable room and in a fully secured gun-rack with the rest of my collection:- two 6.5 Swedes(long CG 1900 and an M38), Israeli 7.62 Mauser(FN), a 7.62 1940 Russian Mozzie and a Spanish cavalry carbine re-barrelled in Corunna to 7.62NATO from original 30/06.They looked good, but were dust-magnets!

But then our local licencing police arriving for my last security inspection [just last year] made me put them all in a steel locker. I had 14 days to do that or they would all be confiscated and probably fines/re-licence problems as well.

Oh, the joys of long-arm/gun registration........

'Registration = Confiscation.' Its true....

So fight it all you can in USA!

It will come around again here in Oz given the "terrorist" pretext we have at the moment.........I expect 1996 & Howard all over again soon (sigh - they never learn, do they?)

But no way I can ever match your marksmanship! Great !
        There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
        Ron Owen.

Comment

Thanks BB.
          But 90% of the credit for those shots must go to a very good day and a very good rifle.
          Alas 303 ammo that was common and cheap 7 years ago (milsup) except for pakistan made, and that has doubled in price. cannot be found.
          New stuff can run a buck a round, lucky, I can reload, still not as cheap as it was, all the prices have doubled or more, but better .50 a round is better than a buck.
          Now if our leaders would allow us to buy ammo from Canada, which they WILL NOT...the prices would be much better. What is the ammo picture like there?
          It does take half the joy out of collecting when you cannot display. Both of our nations are being ruled by girly men and manly girls...::

Take care
          karl
          Karl

Comment

Working...
          X