Interesting Greener Police special 12GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Greener Police special 12GA

I was interested to see a British-made Martini S/Shot 12GA special issue(colonial forces, Egypt/India etc) for sale. Despite adequate warnings by the present owner, I unwisely made an offer to an expat in USA/via Darwin on an Internet guns site.

He was right, this is really only a museum/interesting piece as it needs special 12/14GA ammo using a special "winged" firing pin that only fits that type of weapon/ammo.

I made enquiries before purchase went any further and the heavily necked 12GA brass cases are available in USA (B609A needed!) but very expensive and also it needs a special crimping tool.

My idea of fitting a standard Martin-Enfield firing pin and using a 2" shortened 12GA cases was squashed by my gunsmith. He said that this could be dangerous and while the neck could be reamed into a forcing-cone the cost plus the Martini pin etc would be worth as much as the gun itself.

Pity really - it looks as I may now have to decline/retract the offer of $500.

[Overall it was a pretty crazy bit of stores ordering by the FO. Can't blame Greener - they were just fulfilling a contract!]

Couldn't the natives have stolen the ammo and the gun too? The whole idea (apparently)was if the weapon was captured/stolen, it was in-operable by the mob, using commercially available ammo and thus could not be used against colonial troops/police force.

I have a little 1920s Martini Cadet(heeled and home-cast .310 x 120gn pills) and a .303 1889Martini-Enfield in the gun-cabinet and this 12GA Police Special Martini would be a very good companion for them.....but I have one rule (broken by a Belgian Damascus barrel fowling-piece in unsafe condition for any modern ammo)... that all my firearms must work with commercial or reloaded ammo!

Ah well, life is a learning experience......

[Anyone interested- there is some U-tube video available on this interesting and unique police riot weapon.]

BB
    Last edited by Big Bunny; December 17th, 2014, 01:58. Reason: spelling
    There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
    Ron Owen.
Working...
X