Better Quality .22 Ammo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Quality .22 Ammo?

I know this likely to set off a firestorm of debate but what the heck, it's winter and a good hand-warming fire would be welcome.

What are your favorite .22 ammo brands/styles, assuming availability isn't too much of a problem.

Is there a price point beyond which you would not buy it? Absent a total ban on the import/manufacture of any/all that is. And I'm assuming here it isn't a situation where it's the last box of .22 available for at least 500 miles and the reptilians are at the door.

Which brands/styles would you never touch even if the reptilians WERE at the door? I'm assuming you have an emergency K-Bar to fall back on in this case.

RR
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Re: Better Quality .22 Ammo?

I have always kept a stash of CCI mini mags as my never fail best 22lr. I have always found the mini mags to be very consistent in quality and accurate.

Comment

CCI is excellent.

For the money, and if you can find it, the Federal Champion line is great. It used to be called Federal Lightning and I think they bring that brand back on occasion. I have seen it boxed as Automatch too. The marketing department has to feel as if they are earning their pay, I guess.

It will will have 510 in small print on the on the box. It is the best "cheap" 22lr, imo.

Comment

The CCI Stingers were my go to .22.
        My second is Aguilia Colibri. Powderless .22, its almost like having a silencer.

BISHOP
        The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way...

Comment

CCI Stinger or Mini-Mag is my top shelf stuff.

Beyond that, the Aguila is good ammo, and I've always had good results out of Federal.

Remington or Winchester you can keep. I won't buy them at all.

I've been paying about $9/100 rounds for the CCI Mini-Mag lately. I'd not be above paying another couple bucks a hundred for the good stuff, but I'm not going to pay that much for range ammo.
          Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Been running Armscor Precision 22LR Copper Coated HV HP 36 Gr thru the following:
            Ruger 10-22T
            Ruger 10-22 Charger
            Marlin 7000
            Colt M4 Standard and OPS versions.

Price varies per 5000 rd case from $430 to $500 delivered.

Comment

Best on the planet is RWS, the cost reflects the accuracy and functionality.
              Call me John, just an old man with opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by gundog10 View Post
                I have always kept a stash of CCI mini mags as my never fail best 22lr. I have always found the mini mags to be very consistent in quality and accurate.
                Originally posted by Noland View Post
                CCI is excellent.

For the money, and if you can find it, the Federal Champion line is great. It used to be called Federal Lightning and I think they bring that brand back on occasion. I have seen it boxed as Automatch too. The marketing department has to feel as if they are earning their pay, I guess.

It will will have 510 in small print on the on the box. It is the best "cheap" 22lr, imo.
                Originally posted by BISHOP View Post
                The CCI Stingers were my go to .22.
                My second is Aguilia Colibri. Powderless .22, its almost like having a silencer.

BISHOP
                Try them thru a High Standard Sentinel 6" barrel. Sounds like a pellet gun. I like the Aguilia Colibri. Never had a problem with it. Same outfit makes what they call a sniper round. Weighs 54 grains For a 22 it's a BIG slug.

CCI was my go to 22ammo in the 1980s. Could get it as low as $3-$3.25. Mostly paid $3.50 a hundred in the plastic slide top boxes. Real convenient for reloading quick. Used to have a rule.. if I dint have a minimum of 500R in my cans I'd drop by K-Rings and pickup 500R. Dint see ANY CCI till maybe 1-2yr ago after it completely dried up including Stinger. Found Stinger local and Seattle. Seattle shop was $13 per 100. Locally was $16 per 100. Tax here is a whopping .01 less than down south where it's 9.9%. I just call that 10%. That was 2yr ago. The local folded. Down south Seattle put an outrageous per round tax on ammo. Five cents each for 9mm and 1 or 2 cents per round of 22. They'll make more on sales tax too. The shop that had it for less was down by Green Lake. Seattle mayor is a douche bag demo-rat. He just wants gun shops out of his town.

I have some old WBB 22. Always went bang. A cool old guy out on 20 had it for $9.95 a brick. Was always getting some there. Still have some from mid 90s.

Bot some Rem ammo once or twice. Not dependable so wood never buy it again. My old 870 runs fine. Read here some place they were bought out by bean counters intent on making sure they fold. Have heard their quality has tanked plus the 700 issue.

Federal was always too rich 4 my wallet same with Winchester.

Best 12G ammo I ever had is S&B. This stuff ROCKS!!! Bought a sh!t ton load of it in 25R boxes from a local dealer when we still had small shows in my town. He also had Slug 10 packs of 5R each for $20. Wish I had more of that.
                Grumpy Old Fart http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/cor...emlins/050.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock View Post
                  Best on the planet is RWS, the cost reflects the accuracy and functionality.
                  If RWS is the brand I think it is it was priced OUT of my league when I was usually getting CCI mini mags and HP for $3.50 per 100. All I member for sure was back 20+yr ago RWS was priced like popular makers are now.
                  Grumpy Old Fart http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/cor...emlins/050.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X