Best Ammo For the M1 Carbine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ammo For the M1 Carbine

What is the best Brand ammo you can buy for this carbine that is as close as you can get to being the same load and such as the military ammo?

I was told some brands have a light powder load and a different grain.

Also I was told all of it was non-corrosive--even the military ammo.

I want to stock up on some but I want to get good stuff.

Thanks,
    Bunflinger

Re: Best Ammo For the M1 Carbine

I don't think that they make GI ammo for that any more. I have seen none on the net or shows for a long while. You could try the DCM as they sometimes have some.
    If you are using it for target fmj is fine, but for hunting or defence, lead tip or hp is the way to go.
    I once took some shots at a wet log with mine. The fmj punched in and out.
    The lead tip or hp blasted a huge exit hole.

karl
    Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

The Aguila and Magtech FMJs shoot well and are the 2 least expensive out there. I tried 1 (ONE) box of the Hornady match steel cased stuff and it shot well but to pull the trigger and say (to yourself) "54 cents, 54, cents" each time leads me to shoot 110 grain FMJs over 2400 or H110. I've been shooting factory ammo through our M2 just because I haven't worked up the nerve to shoot reloads through the full carbine.
      incoming rounds have the right of way.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have now many rounds of fmj 110 grain made by prvi partizan. Bought them several years back. Never heard of them before, but the counter guy told me that the muzzle speed was 2000fps. Doesn't sound right, but who knows?

I just didn't want to get any type with a light load and be using a 30 cal .22 rifle.

Mine is just for target shooting, my wife uses it for self-defence around the house.

Comment

You are in the ballpark.
          The GI load was 1700 fps in 1942.
          If you mix a load of jhp and fmj it WILL stop anything, not armored, that it hits.

karl
          Karl

Comment

The basic round was 110 grain bullet at 1980 fps or so. This is, pressure wise, in the neighborhood of a plain jane .357 magnum load. Try lead bullets to see if your carbine likes them. If they do, you'll pull the trigger and say (to yourself) "18 cents, 18 cents". If you cast "8 cents, 8 cents". The 30 carbine is an easy cartridge to load for. Trim as required and it's just like loading any straightish walled cartridge with a taper crimp. AND it's one of the best cartridges going for a new shooter.

Comment

Off the shelf: aguila... I load H110 with a 110gr RNSP

Beware of ding dongs that think they know how to load ammo. I learned that lesson the hard way decades ago. Blew my bolt in half and broke the charging handle right off!

Remember the Old G.I. issued guns are GREAT guns but they are old.

Comment

Re: Best Ammo For the M Carbine

I have used lead bullets with HS 6, 6.8 grains of power with good results on the range. Good groups and the weapon loaded and ejected with no problem. .

But I moved over to copper plated bullets as I started to find lead buildup in the bore and on the piston
                and I found that the piston was very hard to remove for cleaning after the range.
                Now, I don't mean the removing the nut was hard, with the right tool, which I have, that was no problem.
                But even after the nut was out, the piston some times needed a vise and rubber mallet to remove.
                Once cleaned, it slide in and out with no problem.

Still cost far less than the $12 to $15 bucks a box and with carbide Lee dies, prep and reloading was not a problem.

Karl
                Last edited by kARL; October 13th, 2012, 14:13.
                Karl

Comment

Update..I just looked at the price of a box of M1 carbine ammo at Graff and sons. $22 to $44 bucks a box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Glad I have a large coffee can of M1 carbine brass.

karl
                  Karl

Comment

Working...
                  X