No announcement yet.

WW Ranger T 127 +P+ would you use this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW Ranger T 127 +P+ would you use this?

I "stole" 500 rounds of this the other day, paid $120 shipped for the 10 boxes. After a bit of reflection, I begin to wonder if this stuff was worth even what I paid, its pretty darn hot. I certainly don't want a piece of brass or gun part in my face if its hot enough to blow up one of my 9's. I like me Speer Plus P Gold Dots but they ain't near as hot loaded.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Re: WW Ranger T 127 +P+ would you use this?

Carbon or stainless frame and slide I'd say OK if not fed a steady diet of the stuff.

Not for aluminum frame pistols. The jury is still out on the long term effects on polymer frames. They can't last forever, but I'd imagine they stand up better than aluminum to that sort of round.

I've seen several cracked aluminum frames come across my counter years ago from shooting a steady supply of +P+ and +P ammunition. No one is immune. SIG-Sauer, Smith, Walther P1's and post war P.38's and one P5.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

All I have is either +P or the just purchased +P+. I got a deal on Speer +P 124 Gold Dots somewhile ago, paid $12.50 per 50 rounds shipped. Bought 25 boxes, still have about 800 rounds left, several buddies (BUMS!) help themselves to the rest. All any of it will be used for is popping Zombie noggins, hopefully my 9's will hold together that long. About the only ammo I need or will need is another 100 rounds of Gold Dot 230 .45's and some sort of decent low recoil .38 special for my girlfriends new revolver. Been thinking of some wadcutters, she doesn't like anything +P at all.
      "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"

Comment

I don't think I'd be using it for range ammo.

I've got some +P stuff in hand, and have several handguns sitting around with a mag of it in the magwell. But I buy a couple of boxes, or three or four at the outside. Enough so that I can run a couple of mags through the firearm I'm putting it into to make sure it feeds, and then I stop using it.

It shoots high for me, as a rule. I'm more used to my loads, and tend to aim accordingly. OTOH, at 10 yards, an inch high is not going to be a big deal. I'll still hit Center of Mass, just higher in the area. (Above the sternum, instead of smack on or below? That still works just fine.)

I'm not afraid to shoot it in my handguns, but neither am I going to give them a steady diet of it at the range. That's just more stress that they don't need.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I'd just shoot .357SIG if I wanted really hot 9mm....

If it were me, I'd sit it aside to resell at a gunshow for double the $$$ later on before thinking about 500 rds of +p+ in one of my guns. Standard pressures are just fine for me.
          They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by CMV View Post
            I'd just shoot .357SIG if I wanted really hot 9mm....

If it were me, I'd sit it aside to resell at a gunshow for double the $$$ later on before thinking about 500 rds of +p+ in one of my guns. Standard pressures are just fine for me.
            If I want "really Hot" 9mm, I'm going to build myself a 9x23. Although you can get nearly that velocity with a .38 Super and a fairly light bullet. (I have it on good authority that you can get .357 velocities out of 125g .357 bullets with it.)

FWIW, I do shoot .357 Sig. It's all right, but not that so much better than 9mm that I'd consider giving up my BHP's.

The one thing that the 9mm's do that most anything else doesn't is give me 17+1 before reloading. The closest I can get to that is my P-14, which with the extended mag is 16+1. And that sucker weighs about a half ton, after you have carried it all day.

As noted. I have nothing against "hot" ammo, for carry, but I will hopefully remember what I have loaded, and aim just a snidge lower.

And I won't give my weapons a steady diet of it at the range. They wear out quickly enough anyway.
            Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Its small wonder some of of us survived our 38 Super IPSC days. In an somewhat foolish attempt to make "major" some of the loads we developed were wild as can be. We just HAD to have the power of a .45 in a high capacity format. This long before the .40 or high cap .45's existed.

Comment

I had a case of Geco 9mm (from Midway) about 15 yrs ago, and let me tell you about HOT!!! My 9mm is an alloy-frame S&W 39-2 and it was beating the snots out of the gun! I ended up selling the remainder.
                Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!

Comment

If its anything like L7A1 ammo then you shouldn't use in a pistol; only use in a carbine like the Uzi or HK.
                  Grantbo's Misadventures: 40 stories of when Grantbo's life when horribly wrong >> www.grantbo.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                  X