• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jefferson101
    replied
    Re: Sog is out of 762x25

Originally posted by ISC View Post
    Any 10 mm, .38 ACP or 9 largo pistol should be able to be converted. I'd think a .38 ACP 1911 would be a great candidate, all you'd have to change is the barrel, right?
    Probably true, actually, but fitting a .30 barrel to an appropriate receiver might be a bit beyond most of us.

I can do that sort of thing with a rifle, but pistols seem to be a bit unitary.

And then there are magazines. I may be overstating the case, but I found the 7.62x25 that I have to be a bit long for 10mm magazines. I might be able to compress it that 1/64th of an inch or so, but I'm hesitant to do so, in general.

J&G was saying that they had barrels "coming soon", a year or so ago.

http://jggunsmith.wordpress.com/2011...karev-barrels/

But unless I missed something, they still don't have them in hand.

No. It's not as if I don't want a 1911 in 7.62x25. But there are limits on how far and how much money I'll put into one.
    Last edited by jefferson101; June 11th, 2012, 20:36.

Leave a comment:

• ISC
    replied

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
    The length of the cartridge makes it fairly difficult to fit into the frame of anything built as a standard platform for much of anything else that is standard in a semi-auto handgun. A loaded 7.62x25 round is almost 1 1/4" long. That's way beyond what the frame of most semi's are capable of feeding, without rebuilding the whole thing.

Which is why it's not more common.

You'd pretty much have to spread the whole magazine well out longer, which means a whole new casting and machining process. I'd buy one, but I doubt if enough people would to make it pay for itself.
    Any 10 mm, .38 ACP or 9 largo pistol should be able to be converted. I'd think a .38 ACP 1911 would be a great candidate, all you'd have to change is the barrel, right?

Leave a comment:

• jefferson101
    replied

Originally posted by bunker hill View Post
    The Bulgarian 762x25 is Back in stock.

My gunsmith has a account withSog
    and ordered a sealed can of 800
    rds for 184.00 which includes shipping.
    This is excellent ammo Just useqwindex
    after shooting it. It iscorrosihuve but half the prices of
    Sb.u

Yeah. I've shot more corrosive ammo than I have non-corrosive, probably. It's no big deal, assuming that you add the "windex" step to your cleaning, and clean the same day that you shoot it.

For the record, if you can get any of the Polish 7.62x25 reasonably, grab it. It's good ammo. The best I've ever found is the old Norinco, but good luck finding that any more. I think I still have about 300 rounds of it, somewhere, and I need to go ahead and find it and shoot it up.

And, just to note. Unless S&B has improved their brass substantially in the last six or eight years, about half of it splits at the neck when you reload it for the first time. (And that's a range load, not something to the high side....) If you want to reload, buy Privi Partisan or Starline brass, because the S&B brass usually isn't worth the premium you pay for it because it's Boxer primed.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The Bulgarian 762x25 is Back in stock.

My gunsmith has a account withSog
    and ordered a sealed can of 800
    rds for 184.00 which includes shipping.
    This is excellent ammo Just useqwindex
    after shooting it. It iscorrosihuve but half the prices of
    Sb.u

Leave a comment:

• paintballmagnet
    replied

Jefferson, you have the ammo situation just about nailed. Malaysian? I wouldn't fire it through anything that had value and at that I'd probably shoot it by tying a string to the trigger, standing about ten feet away, behind a tree or brick wall! Just the opposite, CAVIM 7.62, mostly reviled, has been OK for me. A bit dirty but actually more accurate from my FAL's than Winchester USA FMJ. That crap does about 3-4 inches!

Leave a comment:

• jefferson101
    replied

Originally posted by bunker hill View Post
    I am wondering if this is the end of tht
    Bulgarian 762x25 that has been imported recently and is clean
    good ammo?
    Other than some Bulgie 7.62x25 that was a bit overloaded, (1952 ammo, FWIW) and some Albanian 7.62x54r that was kind'a deformed at the neck and wouldn't chamber in anything that didn't have an oversized chamber, I've never heard of any Soviet Bloc surplus that didn't work. And I've had a bunch of it, of most all flavors.

Just to note, I never got the '52 Bulgie stuff. I did wind up with a couple of cans of the crappy Albanian, but what wouldn't chamber in my loose M44's, I pulled the bullets and restuffed into something that would.

I figure the Bulgarian was loaded for the PPSH, and was a bit hot for handguns. The Albanian stuff? I rate Albania right up there with most other Moslim countries. Do not buy ammo from places where they whiz in their own water supply, and you are usually safe. (For the Record: India qualifies in that regard, even if they mostly aren't Islamic.) Singapore ammo is good, but Malaysia? Not so much.

YMMV, but that rule has always worked for me. Central America can be considered Islamic, for ammo purposes, though. Sad, but true.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I am wondering if this is the end of tht
    Bulgarian 762x25 that has been imported recently and is clean
    good ammo?

Leave a comment:

• jefferson101
    replied

Originally posted by gripper View Post
    I STILL wish that SOMEONE ( CZ, Glock etc) would make a modern, double stack service sized pistol in this caliber( yeah, I' m a dreamer!).......
    The length of the cartridge makes it fairly difficult to fit into the frame of anything built as a standard platform for much of anything else that is standard in a semi-auto handgun. A loaded 7.62x25 round is almost 1 1/4" long. That's way beyond what the frame of most semi's are capable of feeding, without rebuilding the whole thing.

Which is why it's not more common.

You'd pretty much have to spread the whole magazine well out longer, which means a whole new casting and machining process. I'd buy one, but I doubt if enough people would to make it pay for itself.

I'm just glad I got several cans of the ammo before it dried up. I've got 5 Toks and a CZ-52, so I've got plenty of places to use it.

Leave a comment:

• gripper
    replied

I STILL wish that SOMEONE ( CZ, Glock etc) would make a modern, double stack service sized pistol in this caliber( yeah, I' m a dreamer!).......

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

GuThe m20's were Chinese tokarev pistol sent to Vietnam.
    and only marked with m20 designation once top. of

receiver plus serial numbers. Chinese didn't want anyone to know where.

pistols came from! Bizzare because. their. other weapons to Nva
    were marked with. Chinese marks! Includingother Toks
    The m20s were called sterile. because no proof of
    origin. Any you see in usa were gi bring backs.
    Ditto on. the others ammo.local gun store has SB for $22.00
    a box.

Leave a comment:

• gripper
    replied

Wolf( Privi), S&B; and some of the PPU stuff is still around, albeit pricey compared to 2009 pricing.....methinks J&G still has Polish stab- crimped stuff....whats an M20? I got an M57, a CZ52; would like to score a TTC/TT33 and or a PPS43.... not familiar with the M20.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Sog is out of 762x25

Sog is out of 762x25

SOG in Ohio is out of762x25.I wanted that 800 rd.Bulgarian. for 13
    8.00 plus shipping.I have over. 500 rds of that stuff. Corrosive but. mint. ammo Just. use the. Windex!Runs great inmy m20 bring back. andRomanian. Tok
    SB and wolf hp also good stuff.:
Working...
X