remington and winchester 357 sig jhp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remington and winchester 357 sig jhp

I was at a local gun shop and was told that remington and winchester jhp are made form hollowed out fmj ammo and are substandard. Oddly enough he said the more expensive jhp was better. Is this guy full of it?

Re: remington and winchester 357 sig jhp

There are several of the high end bullets that have somewhat better performance in ballistic gel tests.

The only problem with that whole line of argument is that you can't kill anyone deader than dead. So you hit them with a 124G .356" diameter bullet that penetrates for 11" and expands to 190% of it's original diameter instead of penetrating 11.5" and expanding to 205% of it's original diameter. This gains you what, assuming that you hit them center of mass with either one?

If you hit them in the right place, ball ammo will work reasonably, and is a whole lot cheaper. If you miss, the terminal ballistics don't really help you much at all.

Be it noted that I have no problem with HP ammo, but I'm not going to pay a huge premium for something that I will in all probability wind up shooting up at the range when it gets old anyway. I don't see paying double for the potential to make a 10% deeper or larger diameter hole. I'll buy two boxes of the cheaper stuff and shoot one up at the range to make sure they hit where I expect them to.
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Let me clarify I buy the remington jhp to save money.I use a glock 33 as my primary carry when i am in indiana and can carry. It is the most economical jhp i have found. This place i was at carried remington for 30 some odd dollars.They had federal for 52.oo dollars.This was for fifty rounds. I have bought this at bass pro wally world etc.

Comment

FMJ is formed from the nose, leaving lead exposed at the base of the bullet. JHP's are done just the opposite, the base enclosed, the nose left open to form the hollowpoint. Some newer bullet designs can perform better than older stuff, I/E offer better expansion and optimum penetration, how much better is open for debate. I usually buy Winchester as I've had better luck with it feeding in my pistols as well as having less velocity variation. NO WAY I'm gonna spend a buck or more per round some of the new stuff costs.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Working...
        X