Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handgun ammo stopping power-Hoax or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Handgun ammo stopping power-Hoax or what?

Wrong again.
    Last edited by TheMrMitch; February 19th, 2011, 22:24. Reason: Incorrect info.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Got a Troll
    Last edited by TheMrMitch; February 19th, 2011, 22:23. Reason: Troll

Leave a comment:

• paintballmagnet
    replied

That .45 ball does not do all that well on deer I've seen myself. However, I've never seen a lightweight pistol bullet work all that well either, there must be some super bullet that will allow decent penetration that I haven't seen. Of the deer I've tried with .45's (not more than four or five) lead semi-wadcutters have worked better for me than any hollowpoint, they shoot clean thru on a broadside out to 35 yards, the longest shot I've taken. With the exception of Hornady's XTP bullet, hollowpoints are typically designed NOT to penetrate past a certain amount, this sometiimes doesn't allow taking out vital organs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Animal Killer!
    Last edited by TheMrMitch; February 19th, 2011, 22:22.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Nonsense
    Last edited by TheMrMitch; February 20th, 2011, 13:39. Reason: No sense

Leave a comment:

• jefferson101
    replied

Originally posted by paintballmagnet View Post
    Double tap? I thought that since JMB originally designed the 1911 to hold eight rounds he never intended anything less than slide lock on an empty magazine!
    JMB (PBUH) designed the 1911 to stop several crazed Islamazoids with one mag.

He did, of course, assume that one could hit what one was aiming at with his masterpiece. With a 1911, one does not need to do a Mozambique. Two in the center of mass are sufficient for most anything under 1000 pounds.

I still prefer a .22 LR for a crazed charging bull Blue Whale, though.

Leave a comment:

• paintballmagnet
    replied

Double tap? I thought that since JMB originally designed the 1911 to hold eight rounds he never intended anything less than slide lock on an empty magazine!

Leave a comment:

• jefferson101
    replied

I used to have a bookmark for a whole lot of Gelatin Block tests of various ammo, but my old 'puter died, and that went with it.

Beyond the sarcasm, all I can note is that you can use a .45 ACP, and blow a hole big enough to throw a small housecat through most all the way through most anything, or you can use a 9mm Parabellum, and make a hole big enough to throw a BB through the whole person.

Either one will work just fine, if you hit them right. But if you happen to be a bit off, for whatever reason? I still figure that a .45ACP through a limb is more likely to stop someone than a 9mm Para round through the body, if it doesn't hit a vital organ.

And if you can shoot someone with a .45 ACP in the body and not hit a vital organ, The Lord loves them and wants them to live. Or at least The Lord wants you to double tap them.

Any more questions?

Leave a comment:

• Papadoc
    replied

If you are talking about Ed Marshall and Evan Sanow's work keep in mind there results are all based on real world shooting events. The highest percentage of "one shot stops" was with Federal 125 gn .357" Magnums from a 2 1/4" barrel.

Not a bad reference book, but keep in mind the sample sizes that they had to work with.

As for "Handgun Stopping Power", I can only say that I would much rather rely on a rifle than a handgun. To praphrase Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch, "A handgun is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle that you never should have put down in the first place".

Leave a comment:

• paintballmagnet
    replied

Well, far be it for me to call BS on you but I ain't gonna stand in front of a .45 to prove you wrong! SO THERE!

Leave a comment:

• jefferson101
    replied

You guys and all this "stopping power of the .45ACP" thing!

Everyone knows that a 36g .22 LR will drop a charging Blue Whale in it's tracks. (I saw it on the internet, so I know it's true!!)

Those .45 bullets are so wide that they lose all their velocity trying to get through the skin of the target.

So there!

Leave a comment:

• TheMrMitch
    replied

I'd take a report like that with a grain of salt. Gunkid just might be their advisor.

Leave a comment:

• paintballmagnet
    started a topic Handgun ammo stopping power-Hoax or what?

Handgun ammo stopping power-Hoax or what?

Something seems not right with a stopping power list made by a couple of law enforcement officers that I won't name here. In this list they have the typical non plus P 9mm 115 grain JHP listed as providing 79% one shot stops. OK, who am I to dispute this, not like I've ever shot anyone myself? Then they go on to say that a .45 loaded with FMJ will only do 65%-this ignoring that a .45 bullet starts out at least as large as a fully opened up 9mm hollowpoint. THEN they go so far as to say that a .380 ACP that's firing an 80 some odd grain hollowpoint bullet that might hit 900 fps going downhill is as effective as a .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ. Sorry but I gotta call BS on this so called "stopping power" list. Do those guys actually make money spouting this crap? Am I wrong or do some bullets not affected by the laws of physics?
Working...
X