Shotgun Shell Shelf-life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Shell Shelf-life

Just bought some Brenneke Short Magnum slugs. On the box it states that if exposed to moisture or humidity, dispose of properly.

Massachusetts is notoriously humid during the summers. And I don't want to lose my ammo to it.

What a good way to store and protect the shells from humidity?
    Last edited by Wood Devil; February 1st, 2011, 15:08.
    Media vita in morte sumus

Re: Shotgun Shell Shelf-life

It's hard to beat a GI ammo can.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
      AMEN to that! Wish i had some more.

TH

Comment

Wood, i've got some Winchester shotshell loads so old they are marked Duck and Pheasant on the box. Since steel shot has been the rule for Ducks for YEARS, these have to be from the early 80's. Kept in ammo cans, this last fall they worked as well for tree rats as when they were new. Keep 'em dry AND cool and you'll be an old man before having to worry about them not firing. I just looked, I've had them 28 years, bought five ten box cases cases when our local Otasco was going out of business and since I only use them for squirrels, I still have a whole bunch left. Think I paid 30 bucks per case way back then.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
          Funny you mention that -- they sent the shells in an ammo can.

So I guess there they will stay.
          Media vita in morte sumus

Comment

I've still got shells that I loaded myself back in '78. I occasionally will shoot three or four of them just to see if they still work. So far, they all have. I'd expect the plastic hulled factory loads to have a longer shelf life than old paper hulls.

FWIW, in my experience, most issues with humidity being a problem come due to temperature changes rather than ambient humidity itself. If you store them in a reasonably temperature stable place, they will last next to forever.
            Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I have a box of Federal 12g slugs in paper hulls. I figure they have to be 50 years old. I wonder when they stopped using paper. I share your concerns on their shelf life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Devil View Post
                Just bought some Brenneke Short Magnum slugs. On the box it states that if exposed to moisture or humidity, dispose of properly.

Massachusetts is notoriously humid during the summers. And I don't want to lose my ammo to it.

What a good way to store and protect the shells from humidity?
                Thirty cal Ammo Cans

Fifty cal Ammo Cans

20mm Ammo Cans

40mm Ammo Cans

Any Questions??
                Grumpy Old Fart http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/cor...emlins/050.gif

Comment

For added protection from humidity, store them in the ammo cans with a desiccant pack. I don't bother with those pre-made packs - just use 'crystals' cat litter. Same stuff and a heck of a lot cheaper! ~$10 for 14 pounds. Get it good and dry by baking it in the oven at 250 degrees for an hour or so, then either pour it around your boxed ammo in the ammo can or make your own pouches or heck, even a butter tub with holes poked in the lid. I have a butter tub in each of my gun safes, too. Change or reactivate the packs in the safes every couple of months by re-baking.
                  Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!

Comment

When I cleaned out my old 1987 pickup to sell it, I found some 12 gauge shells that had been behind the seat for at least 15 years. They shot just fine.

Comment

I had some .410, .28, .20, and .12 gauge that was handed down from my great uncle Richard to my father, and then to me. We shot it all up back in the mid 1980's. It had to be really old. The boxes were probably collectible. I also had some paper shelled 12 gauge buckshot that was law enforcement ammo from my grandfather, who was a rural policeman in Nebraska back in the great depression. That stuff was all pre World War II. My grandfather got out of law enforcement after the war ended, and just ran his pharmacy full time. I fired all that up by 1998. All this old ammo was stored in a old wooden crate. That stuff was decades old. It all fired.

Supposedly, there is one company left that makes paper hulled shells, for traditional reasons. It is popular with shooters who fire antique shotguns and double rifles at classic sporting firearm themed events. They had a segment on the Outdoor Channel about it. The shooters all seemed to be striving for the Mr and Mrs. Howell look from Gilligan's Island. Ladies with parasols and guys with white on white suits with ties and matching pith helmets. Cool stuff.
                      Death is whimsical today. - Gary Oldman

Zombies man...they creep me out. - Dennis Hopper

Comment

Working...
                      X