Ammo performance short VS long barrel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo performance short VS long barrel

Please help settle an argument...When firing a typical FMJ 9mm from a 16" barrel, will there be an actual increase in stopping power (if there is such a thing in pistol ammo) I say that there might be a gain in penetration and range BUT the small increase in velocity will not help a FMJ bullet do a better job stopping an adversary. True?
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Re: Ammo performance short VS long barrel

If there were no more effectiveness from a longer barrel, it stands to reason that every SMG would have 4" barrels, no?

Comment

The 9mm has a bad rap for overpenetration anyway, does it not?

But I agree with you. The little bit of increased velocity you get from the longer barrel isn't going to do a whole lot to increase stopping power.

The increased accuracy that you get from a longer sight radius might lead to better shot placement, though. That's got a whole lot more to do with stopping someone than any other factor anyway.
      Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

The point in my case is probably moot, I bought a bunch of Speer Gold Dot +P 124's a couple years ago, these are what I'll be using in my CX-4, not fmj if for anything but plinking cans.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

About the only difference then would be the slight velocity gain at range may help with the expansion of the HP round. And that is only a maybe, as it really depends on what the round has to go through, example would be a heavy leather "biker" jacket might actually plug the hp to the point it will act as a FMJ.
          "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
          http://survivalblog.com
          MOLON LABE!
          AC0XV

Comment

Working...
          X